Page 149 of 389 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 3889

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Crotch Rocket

Unfortunately I can't remember my pace count, but I'll have that corrected soon. I cut a 25 meter length of 550 cord (no range finder here either) a couple weeks ago that I'll use to measure out a known 100 meter length.

Something else I've been thinking about is building some variables into my pace count. My theory is I'll get a more accurate estimation if I get counts on level ground, while going up & down hill, and if I do these both with and without a pack because changes in terrain and pack weight are likely to affect my stride length.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    Unfortunately I can't remember my pace count, but I'll have that corrected soon. I cut a 25 meter length of 550 cord (no range finder here either) a couple weeks ago that I'll use to measure out a known 100 meter length.

Something else I've been thinking about is building some variables into my pace count. My theory is I'll get a more accurate estimation if I get counts on level ground, while going up & down hill, and if I do these both with and without a pack because changes in terrain and pack weight are likely to affect my stride length.
    i used all those variations when i first learned my pace count, don't forget to work around things like buildings and trees to hone your skills. don't really know why i still remember it, i've still got my pace count beads. it's funny how some things stick in your mind for years...

For the Love of Cats

k, so for those in the un-know... what the hell are you guys talking about??
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

Basically learning how far you travel in a given number of paces or being able to determine where you have moved to given the number of paces you have went.

Everyones pace is different so its something you have to determine for yourself. And like has been mentioned different terrian, obstacles, etc make it vary. So you need to figure all of it into the calulations. Or something like that.

Premium Member
    before the days of range finders and gps we had to determine the distance travelled etc...walking at a normal pace we devoloped a way to determine 100 meters...back in rogers rangers days i'd say they were good enough to look at the stars or the moss on some tree or some funky actions to determine distance...
    if anyone wants to get into range cards we can?

For the Love of Cats

Unless you are humping along a road, or something of the ilk... I really don't see the feasibility of this nor the usefullness. When I am out hunting, the last thing I would be doing is counting my steps, but even if I could, it would be something like this:

1, 2, 3, 4, stop... look... listen... take 2 baby steps to the side, peek around a tree, 5, 6, stop... step up on a log, scan around, 6-1/4, 6-1/2, 6-3/4, inching up the log, 78, double footed jump down to the ground, 9, 10, stop... listen... 10-1/2, 2 side steps behind a tree, wait, wait, raise the gun, BANG!... 11, 12, 13, look... look... 14, 15, yell "woohoo", JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP, run run run run.... gut gut gut gut... drag drag drag

*sniper ponders... what number was I on again??
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

picked up
    1 gallon olive oil
    1 #10 cans of green beans
    2 #10 cans of corn
    1 #10 can peaches
    1# 10 can of Chef Boyardee ravioli
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

[QUOTE=Sniper-T;52795]Unless you are humping along a road, or something of the ilk... I really don't see the feasibility of this nor the usefullness. When I am out hunting, the last thing I would be doing is counting my steps, but even if I could, it would be something like this:

1, 2, 3, 4, stop... look... listen... take 2 baby steps to the side, peek around a tree, 5, 6, stop... step up on a log, scan around, 6-1/4, 6-1/2, 6-3/4, inching up the log, 78, double footed jump down to the ground, 9, 10, stop... listen... 10-1/2, 2 side steps behind a tree, wait, wait, raise the gun, BANG!... 11, 12, 13, look... look... 14, 15, yell "woohoo", JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP, run run run run.... gut gut gut gut... drag drag drag

LOL!

I can see where that might be a problem. For me though, it'd be nice for establishing distances like greg does, and also for gauging how far I've traveled on a hike. The pace beads come in handy for that, and I've heard its just like anything else. Do enough repetition and it becomes an automatic behavior to count the 100 meters out and pull a bead down.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Premium Member
    by the way "rogers rangers standing orders" are still damm good rules to live by... today or in a SHTF world

I'll most likely shit myself

I got a set of pace counter beads years ago. At first it is a major PIA. But after awhile it comes natural. I do remember the instructions were to count one foot not each step.
    Last edited by bacpacker; 12-13-2012 at 11:46 PM.