Page 378 of 389 FirstFirst ... 278328368376377378379380388 ... LastLast
Results 3,771 to 3,780 of 3889

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Bacon saver

Got the two "Submarines" propane tanks moved over to the new place and ran new gas lines. Still need tanks filled and tested, then maybe we'll have some heat......Trying to take a load of boxes/stuff over every trip. Moved and inventoried all Of LadyHK's canning implements. We got a lot of shit.................
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Got my indoor herb garden completely set. Have no idea why my apple mint and chives are growing so slow though.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Sounds like a nice harvest AK. Couple questions for you. What are the Pequin peppers? Are the hot or mild, bell or banana type? Are they heirlooms or hybrid? If heirloom, would you be interested in swapping some seed for something I have? I'm always looking for some new heirloom peppers to try out. Never heard of those before.
    bp, is there a commercial grade heirloom company ? Once I get things hammered out I aim for some N2 packed seeds for later, but I wish to have commercials up first, if they are worth a damn..

I'll most likely shit myself

There are tons of seed companies that sell heirloom seed. The few I have experience with and will use again are:
    Baker Creek seeds
    Sow True Seeds
    Vermont Bean Co
    Johnnys Selected Seed
    Totally Tomatos
    Morgan County Seed

Some I know of but haven't tried. Although I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.
    Southern Exposure Seeds
    Seed Savers Exchange

My dad has used:
    Park Seed
    Gurney's
    Burpee
    These have lots of hybrids so choose carefully. Actually most, but not all, seed companies are like that.

Good luck. I have started receiving catalogs already. make for some good reading thru the winter as you plan out next years garden.

may be in trouble

Ah, and more pertinent to the topic... 20' 6000# towing strap added to the van's tackle... cat's-paw it to whichever axle for getting out of getting stuck.

Next purchases for a towing kit will be the second of two 5000# rated come-alongs and a 20' length of 1/2" 6000# working load chain with clevises, and some bobtail truck rated chocks.

My plan is if I end up in a ditch or such, find whatever tow point and attach both comealongs. Use the first one to get in the first 4', chock, and then use the second one to get the next 4'... "walking" it in, the chocks being backup, and a spare clevis to wrap the chain's free end around the fixed towing point, if possible.

The devil fry me up for bacon in the morning if I ever pay 1500 for getting towed again. And with a good pulley set, them comealongs will earn a nice keep with some building I have on plan.

What did you get stuck and where at? $1500, Damn
    It was down to the axle. A roll back was able to winch me out. Only cost $100, which hurt bad enough.

may be in trouble

Stuck, no.

My first atttempt out of Vegas in 2016 was with a '96 Chevy Astro, that left its oilpan in fragments on I-40 west of Flagstaff AZ. 600 to get it towed to Flagstaff and 900 F-Vegas.

Point is, if I get jammed up where it's a matter of getting back on the road, I WILL have the tools.

Bacon saver

Yup, and the day you move tools around will be the day that "Mr. Murphy" shows up and leaves you stranded again. BTDT pal, either that it will break when it's cold and raining.

OH, back to the topic! I got my two 1K# propane tanks filled and gas line run, should have heat by Monday. Prepped all I could do to install LadyHK's new kitchen cabinets. Install should begin this week after the cabin gets re-acclimated, everything needs to be stable before I can hang'em.........unless..as stated above.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Sounds like a nice harvest AK. Couple questions for you. What are the Pequin peppers? Are the hot or mild, bell or banana type? Are they heirlooms or hybrid? If heirloom, would you be interested in swapping some seed for something I have? I'm always looking for some new heirloom peppers to try out. Never heard of those before.
    . Pequin is a pepper about the size of a holly berry, or a pea. They're a little hotter than a jalapeƱo. These are a perennial bush type pepper, I got them from a guy who sells jelly at the farmers market probably 3 years ago. He makes Pequin pear jelly on a large scale, and since they aren't commercially available, he grows his own plants. These plants are heirloom as far as I can tell, I've never seen seed for them. The reason they aren't commercially available is they take FOREVER to pick when they're producing. We usually harvest around first freeze, and we harvest both green and red (fully ripe) I'd say it takes 30-45 minutes to harvest 1/2 a cup because some are the size of a BB. Our total crop annually is probably a pint jar maximum. That being said, it takes 1-1/2 tbsp to make 16 jars of pineapple Pequin, or pear Pequin jelly, so it goes a long way. We winterize them by cutting them down about 2 inches above ground and mulching them with wood mulch. I murdered the ones I had in the ground by not uncovering them after last frost this year, and not watering them enough, they never came back, so I had to go find the guy I got them from and get 3 more. I've got them in a whiskey barrel now, so I'll be covering them in a 6 mil clear plastic tent and mulching this year to see if they recover better next spring. I'd be happy to send you some dried peppers, and a few fresh ones just to make sure you get a viable set of seeds. I'd say there at 3-4 seeds per pepper. They're itty bitty, but they pack a punch, my kid eat them off the bush, and then suffers for 30 minutes while his friends laugh at him.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

AK, That is awesome. I certainly look forward to trying them out. I bet the jelly is great, anything mixed with pineapple or pear is good. We grow some maters on our deck thru the summer in some big pots. I think they may work good in that and easy to keep enough water to.
    Thanks for the offer.