Page 380 of 389 FirstFirst ... 280330370378379380381382 ... LastLast
Results 3,791 to 3,800 of 3889

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

I'll most likely shit myself

Thanks for the info Keep! I have tried black plastic, but it seems to breakdown in a couple years and everything comes right back.

I've took cutting from my vines and rooted them to start other plants. I'm sure they will outgrow a bucket in a few years. But for 2-3 years I would think they will do fine.

Walking on Sunshine

May not be a true prep but we have to replace our 30+ year old hot water heater. Too bad we can't just fix it, heating unit has gone.Friend (plumber not licensed here) came by last week for a visit and looked it over, said we got about 10 years more out of it than expected due to our "excellent" (his words) maintenance on it. Now the stove/oven is going out too but we can't get it fixed any more either, too old, so DH and I are looking at gas stoves now. When we moved in we had a brand new electric stove we brought with us(my Mother's Day gift year previous) but kept the hook ups for the gas. So I'm going to get a gas stove this time.Of course it all breaks just as we are replacing the 30 year old windows in the house.So (knock wood) nothing else goes out LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    May not be a true prep but we have to replace our 30+ year old hot water heater. Too bad we can't just fix it, heating unit has gone.Friend (plumber not licensed here) came by last week for a visit and looked it over, said we got about 10 years more out of it than expected due to our "excellent" (his words) maintenance on it. Now the stove/oven is going out too but we can't get it fixed any more either, too old, so DH and I are looking at gas stoves now. When we moved in we had a brand new electric stove we brought with us(my Mother's Day gift year previous) but kept the hook ups for the gas. So I'm going to get a gas stove this time.Of course it all breaks just as we are replacing the 30 year old windows in the house.So (knock wood) nothing else goes out LOL.

At 30 years olde..I would not bother trying to fix a water heater and just get a new one. At 30 years olde...the tank would be getting weak in places and subject to leaking...

It is not just the heating elements at 30 years of age.

It helps definitely to do maintenance on a water heater...draining it frequently et al....but 30 years is a long time on a water heater.

Put new windows in my house some 10 years go...those double pane windows....where you can tilt them out in place for cleaning.

Should have done this many many years before I did. These new windows are much more energy efficient.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Walking on Sunshine

OT, that was the problem, DH thought the heater HAD been replaced by the people we bought the house from 18 years ago. It had a new hot water tank wrap on it so it looked good. They had it inspected and it had passed code so DH thought everything was good, for that matter so did I. Never thought at that time to open the wrapping and see the tags on it to see when it was actually installed. Probably should have when the dishwasher went out 3 months after we moved in and we found out it was older than the house. We figured they took their new stuff to their new house and replaced the appliances with old ones just to sell the house. Houses will not sell unless there are appliances in the house. We didn't mind because I took mine with me because they were fairly brand new and we couldn't afford at that time to buy new ones.

Not a lot other than started planting the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    OT, that was the problem, DH thought the heater HAD been replaced by the people we bought the house from 18 years ago. It had a new hot water tank wrap on it so it looked good. They had it inspected and it had passed code so DH thought everything was good, for that matter so did I. Never thought at that time to open the wrapping and see the tags on it to see when it was actually installed. Probably should have when the dishwasher went out 3 months after we moved in and we found out it was older than the house. We figured they took their new stuff to their new house and replaced the appliances with old ones just to sell the house. Houses will not sell unless there are appliances in the house. We didn't mind because I took mine with me because they were fairly brand new and we couldn't afford at that time to buy new ones.

they can get away with that con - as long as they didn't claim newer appliances than what's there - there's all kinds of protection for homebuyers these days ...

Walking on Sunshine

New heater is in and BLISS It doesn't take forever to get hot water to the kitchen YEAH!! Windows are next on the list, our "contractor"( son 1's friend owns his own small construction company) is coming Friday to measure and order them. Just pray the stove (oven) holds out til AFTER Easter or I'm in big doo doo for Easter dinner.
    DH and I went to a seminar last night put on by the township and university extension people. It was on how to save seeds and they also talked about heirloom seeds/Plants. It was really good, we learned a lot.We could ask questions and get the answers right then. Instead of waiting til someone answered an email. They had signed up about 30-35 people but only about a dozen of us showed up. The lady that came could spend more time on our questions which made it very nice.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

My radish have spouted, and my spinach is starting to sprout.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Looking good Helo

Kat that had to be a really good class. i've done a lot of reading on the subject and have a few books on it to refer to. But having someone with first hand knowledge to pepper with questions is just invaluable.

Walking on Sunshine

Ditto helo, looking good. Can't wait til we're able to get going.Temps still too cold and nasty here.
    BP, It was really good.I think DH is more amenable to growing heirlooms so I can save the seeds instead of the stuff we get at the garden centers. Our neighbor came over in November after the first frost and asked if he could get some apples, he has a friend that does cider, so DH told him go ahead but forgot to ask if we could get a couple of bottles when his friend was done bottling it. Gonna ask this year for sure. Not sure if it is ice cider or the hard stuff. Either way I hope we can barter for a few bottles this year. Of course that is IF the trees produce as much as they did this last year even with the late frost we had.