Page 45 of 389 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    I would like to know what everyone does with the water they put in the used soda bottles??? How long do they stay good? Isn't it easier to buy a Katydine (sp) filter instead of storing all those 2 liter bottles that could leak? Just wondering. I bought several gallon jugs of drinking water and had them stored in a temp controlled room and they leaked all over the place so I'm really leary about storing water in the house. Maybe once we get a basement I would buy cases of bottled water and just stack them or something since they probably would have a longer shelf life than tap water. Thoughts?
    If there was a nuclear event or some other thing like a volcano explosion that spewed ash or radioactive fallout all over the country, you may not be able to get outside to access water. So having some saved is better than nothing.

Milk jugs are not good water containers. The soda bottles are thicker and a different type of plastice. Don't forget a soda bottle is made to handle the pressure of the carbonation. These empty bottles are already tested and ready to go. You could use them outside to sun purify water too.

Yep, milk jugs type containers are made to decay and though I still have about 4 that I bought nearly two years ago and haven't yet started leaking, I'm sure they will if I don't empty them in the near future. Soda bottles are cheap, easy to clean and fill, and can be stacked in layers. I have a tower 4 levels high in the basement. I lay sturdy cardboard on the tops of the bottom stack of bottles, put another stack on it, and keep building until they are about as high as I dare go with them. And, I've used the water out of bottles that I filled 2 years ago and the water was fine. All I did was aerate it some by pouring it into a pitcher and it tasted fine. I usually pour flavoring powders into the oldest water but it can be drunk without it.

Crotch Rocket

I ordered Mainstay bars in both a 2400 and a 3600 calorie pack, and used a gift card from Christmas to buy a backpacking tarp. 606 Tarp 5ft x 7ft

My first tarp was a 6' x 8' rather than 5' x 7', but I'm not too concerned. This new one packs up much smaller and lighter than the first, and that, coupled with the fact that I had more than enough tarp to cover my ass before, leads me to believe I'll be more comfortable overall. I'll see if it holds up next month. I hope so. Life could suck if not.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Claptrap's Problem Solver

I flew back home from Providence RI this morning (left RI at 6:00am....yay) and it reminded me of a prep I've been overlooking.

I need to invest in a TSA approved steel club to beat the shit out of idiot passengers who irritate me.

Don't forget the necessary items folks.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I flew back home from Providence RI this morning (left RI at 6:00am....yay) and it reminded me of a prep I've been overlooking.

I need to invest in a TSA approved steel club to beat the shit out of idiot passengers who irritate me.

Don't forget the necessary items folks.

But Stig,

you needent look very hard. There is already one in existence. WIthout the TSA secuirty check headache. Already pre-positioned for you no matter where on the plane you sit:

DAL4-640x426.jpg
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Bacon saver

And then there's those Trans-atlantic and Trans-pacific flights. 9 hours.................I always wanted to bring my slingshot.............kids............people you love to hate............one's that deserve it..............just for fun...............yup, you just had that picture in your head didn't ya? Oh yeah, like ducks in a barrel. Not like you can't make one on a flight right?

Be safe.................the night is your friend

For the Love of Cats

A prominent 'businessman' friend of mine flies with a 'baton' of sorts all the time. While it wouldn't be lethal in an encounter, it would be more than enough to deter a box-cutter wielding passenger.

He simply bought a retractable antenae for a vehicle (heavy duty), cut it to about 2 feet, and then threaded a crosman pen tip into the open end. He either carries it in his breast pocket, and lets it go through the scanner, or leaves it in his briefcase (carry-on), and lets it go through the scanner.

It has never been questioned, or looked at a second time. He once showed me that a quick whip with it, he could almost cut a watermelon in half. Yeah, the same thing wouldn't happen to a person, BUT... I did get him to whip me across the forarm with it (and he held back) and even through my winter coats, it still numbed my hand, hurt like hell, and surprised me enough that he knocked me on my ass with a straight-arm. Even through the clothes, it left quite a welt and a significant bruise.

He smacked some other stuff with it, and it was damaged beyond repair, but still made for a formidable 'impromptu' defensive weapon. Especially in a situation where you may find nothing else as readily.

Izzy; I was forced to fly one time with 2 broken eardrums.. with the painkillers (prescrip and non), I ended up ripping one armrest off, severly damaging the other, and cracking one back support of the seat in front of me. Without tools, it would be mighty difficult to make use of one. Unless you use it to bang someones head into.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Izzy; I was forced to fly one time with 2 broken eardrums.. with the painkillers (prescrip and non), I ended up ripping one armrest off, severly damaging the other, and cracking one back support of the seat in front of me. Without tools, it would be mighty difficult to make use of one. Unless you use it to bang someones head into.

I'm sure that should I be properly motivated, I could do a good bit of damage with the armrest, to include getting it off the seat.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Bacon saver

On Topic

OK back on track, after replacing the new breaker in the shop. I glued and clamped together some black walnut planks to make a removeable tabletop for my leather "treadle" sewing machine that I am restoring. It's an off grid kinda machine but great for making harness, holsters, boots, shoes, etc. The weather's been my enemy in this project. But I loooovvve the smell of black walnut when it's being cut. ummmmmm, good! Purdy stuff!

Just revamped my 1st/ 2nd line gear