Page 51 of 389 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Oooh ooh!!

Got the verbal commitment from the wife. After all the crazy settles down, I get to have some chickens, rabbits, and a couple goats. We shook on it. Then I almost had a heart attack. Not sure if it was because of shock or the paint fumes..........
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

Awesome! I wonder if she's wondering if it was the paint fumes on her end now too?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

For the Love of Cats

As we sat down for dinner last night, I flipped on that "Surviving Disaster" show. My wife has seen parts of a couple of them, but hasn't said much in the past.

Yesterdays was the Pandemic one, so naturally the Lab stuff peaked her interest right away, and she watched the whole thing. When they were at the part about fortifying their home against looters, my wife asked what it would take to be able to secure our crawlspace. It's really quite simple, so I explained it to her, and she seemed quite keen, so it will be done ASAP!

I can take that as a small victory for the prepper!

lol

A laugh a minute
    outside harvesting wild greens and onions for a salad. Dh is digging out creek so it won,t flood while we are gone.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMax View Post
    ordered two 48 round shotgun shell belts. And a MOLLE shotgun scabbard for the backpack.
    Ive been looking into these for about a year and a half now, just havent pulled the trigger to get one yet. Maybe you could give us a heads up and let us know how it works out for you? This way maybe I can convince myself to go ahead and get one!

For the Love of Cats

^ and post some pics... both of my belts are only 25 round

Crotch Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    Ive been looking into these for about a year and a half now, just havent pulled the trigger to get one yet. Maybe you could give us a heads up and let us know how it works out for you? This way maybe I can convince myself to go ahead and get one!
    I have a 50 round bandoleer and one of those scabbards. I've used both to good effect for light use. Every once in a while you may find a shell slipping out of the bandoller, but for the most part it retains them very well. I've kept mine loaded with loose shells for a couple years now with no issue.

My scabbard is from Condor that I received as a contest prize. I'm not sure if who else might make them, except for an AR sleeve I've seen from HSGI, but it appears to be pretty well built, and has allowed me to carry my .22 (I really should get a sling on that at some point) out deer hunting so I can plink at small game if that's all I'm seeing. I've also pressed it into range use by mounting it to the micro drag bag I have for my AR. I have to put my shotgun barrel in the bag because its 28", but its worked well for that as well. I'd love to get a folding stock and 18" barrel. It'd be very good for that I think.

Come to think of it, shipping probably wouldn't be too much on that. If you're willing to send it back I'd be more than happy to let you get a first hand look at it.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by mollypup View Post
    I looked at a solar kit on Harbor Freight yesterday but didn't make the plunge to buy it. I'm still trying to figure out everything that I'll need and how to hook it all together. It's so hard trying to figure out which the best 12 v deep cycle battery, which is the best inverter I can get for the amount I have to spend (not much) and how do I get the whole thing working? I bought a book on solar panel uses but it's waaaaay over my head and starts off with bigger projects than I had in mind. I'd just like to be able to use a computer, maybe the TV and to recharge batteries and electronics. That kit on Harbor Freight only gives you the panels, but not a battery. I can't remember now if it included a inverter. Is there a thread here somewhere discussing solar panels and how to use them????

BTW, I ordered one of these earlier this morning. A dutch oven from Amazon for about 40 dollars. Amazon.com: Universal Housewares Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Camping Dutch Oven: Kitchen & Dining
    PLease excuse my tardines for I have been engaged in finishing me chores. (finishing trim in hallway,hallway closet, foyer closet and foyer, oh and the teadle sewing machine)

Here's what I can tell you about the Harbor Freight solar kit that I have so far.

CHICAGO ELECTRIC Model 90599
    45 WATT Solar Kit

Specific points of interest include:
    -Each panel is rated @15 watts and has a 10ft power lead, sheilded for outdoor use approxomately 16-18 guage wire.

-Comes with a mounting bracket to hold all three panels

-Battery not included (what's new)

-Additional items included were a set of two 12VDC wire leads with standard thread light bulb recepticle and two 12v light florecent bulbs

-System is rated @14.5 V~/ 15W, Open circuit Voltage 23.5ocv, Adapter Outlets 3, 6, 9, and 12VDC

-The regulator provides the following protection:
    Over-Discharge Protection: it will shut down if the voltage goes below 11 volts.
    Overcharge Protection: shuts down if it goes above 14.5v
    Overload Protection: if output current exceeds 4amps fuse blows.

-Also has a 5v USB port.........computer?

OK, that's all for now, I hope some of this has been nelpful. I'm going to start the "performance" round when I get a break in the weather, been rainin so I can't seem to get a damn thing accomplished around here lately. Soooooooooooo?

Be safe................the night is your friend

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by mollypup View Post
    I looked at a solar kit on Harbor Freight yesterday but didn't make the plunge to buy it. I'm still trying to figure out everything that I'll need and how to hook it all together. It's so hard trying to figure out which the best 12 v deep cycle battery, which is the best inverter I can get for the amount I have to spend (not much) and how do I get the whole thing working? I bought a book on solar panel uses but it's waaaaay over my head and starts off with bigger projects than I had in mind. I'd just like to be able to use a computer, maybe the TV and to recharge batteries and electronics. That kit on Harbor Freight only gives you the panels, but not a battery. I can't remember now if it included a inverter. Is there a thread here somewhere discussing solar panels and how to use them????

BTW, I ordered one of these earlier this morning. A dutch oven from Amazon for about 40 dollars. Amazon.com: Universal Housewares Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Camping Dutch Oven: Kitchen & Dining
    OH, "no" it doesn't come with an inverter as we would want. One that would turn on and off to maintain the battery's charge automaticly. Hey we have to start cheap and experiment a little bit the way I see it. Plus, I think I'll be able to use these panels elsewhere later. I bought an additional 50" of wire and a terminal block to extend the range and bring the box into the house to run out little solar experiment.

Hey, for an additional $35 you can get a "smash and crash" warranty for your sytem/panels for I think was 2 yrs no questions asked FREE REPLACEMENT. So maybe before the 2 yrs is up I'll trade'em in.

Be safe.................the night is your friend

I'll most likely shit myself

Good info BWRR. I've been looking at getting the HF kit to set up some lighting for the chicken coop. From your desciption of voltage and out put I think that would work well.