Page 56 of 389 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

GunnerMax
    Talked to my mom today, and remembered I have a tub of military gear at her house in FL filled with goodies, to include, canteens, belts, canteen pouches, and my favorite, which I forgot about, 2 or 3 NEW Kevlar Helmets that I got 4 years ago in SC. I am so freaking excited about being able to protect my head, and my wife's, without having to buy one!

A laugh a minute
    went to harbor freight and got one of those propane filler couplers. Since we cook on a colmen one burner stove we buy a lot of those small propane bottles. So now we can refill all our little bottles that we have saved for the last year. If you need this item you have to ask them for it as they do not keep it on the self. $17.00 Is all it cost.

For the Love of Cats

Check your bottles after you fill them Taz. sometimes those little ones leak after refilling. spray some soapy water into the nozzle and watch for bubbles. if it does, you can usually just tap the nipple with a screwdriver and it'll seat. If you refill them a lot, then you'll want to pick up some caps. Threads on and seals tight

A laugh a minute
    Thanks Sniper. I didn't think I would have to check them for leaks with them never being refilled yet. Also when we add a new bottle we always put the cap on the old bottle, so we have all the caps that came with each bottle.

For the Love of Cats

Those plastic caps that come on the bottles will not stop a leak. you would need to buy actual steel caps.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Those plastic caps that come on the bottles will not stop a leak. you would need to buy actual steel caps.

Those caps are merely "thread protectors" and prevent dust from getting into the valve system before use. T is right, not a leak stopper
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

A laugh a minute
    So where do I get this metal caps, where I get my propane filled?

For the Love of Cats

most hardware stores, any 'real' gas shop (BOC, PRAXAIR) - American equiv's. should have. take an empty bottle with you to home depot, or home hardware. find a cap, and buy some teflon tape. with that, even if the valve leaks slow, you can cap it and it will be good for LTS... take the cap off, screw it into whatever, and its valve is now the shut off.

* remember when you teflon tape something, you hold it in your left hand... with NB gas fittings, hold the spool in your right.

I have had the little guys leak on the first refill (especially the short fat ones opposed to the longer skinny ones). usually a wiggle of the valve is enough to stop it.

I only keep a half dozen little ones full (and capped) on hand, but have another 2-3 dozen empty ready to fill. (increases every camping season due to things people throw away). I keep several 20#'ers full for the BBQ, and several 100#ers full for emergencies, for the garage furnace, and for filling. I fill the 1#ers from the 20's(16). if I can't get to the store (or got lazy) I fill the 20's from the 100#er (4).

out of curiosity... what do you guys pay for fiills? right now we are about 0.62c per pound(Costco)... ie a 20# costs about $`13.00

it's gone up from 8.99 for a 20# in the last 4 months.

Do you guys have that exchange program down there? drop off an empty, pick up a full?

I've 'heard' that you can wiggle that plastic sleeve off a trader tank, and slip it onto an expired tank, and get a new filled tank for cheap.

"Theoretically speaking of course"

A laugh a minute
    let me start a thread on this so we don,t take away from this one. I would like to hear more on this subject.

For the Love of Cats

Back on topic... I have done nothing prep related. I am working 75+ hours a week, working ahead, training, and trying to catch up... I am banking all this time for use at a later date, when I can take time off and work on what I need to get done. And! get paid to do it!