Page 73 of 389 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

A laugh a minute
    In an emergency situation and if I am starving I still would not eat it. Why? because I know what plants I can eat. but yes spam and Vienna sausages are a good cheap survival food. always pack them in all your BOB's and even in the car, 4-wheelers, ect.

When Spam is cut into small chunks and mixed with unsalted cooked rice, it's actually pretty good. It gives salt and fat to the rice which always makes it taste better. If necessary, that's how I plan on serving a lot of our SHTF meals. Maybe not always Spam, but some other canned meat mixed with rice and/or beans/veggies. As long as it can all go into a single pot and into a solar cooker or on the campstove, then it's the meal of the day!

For the Love of Cats

*shudder*

in a cold sweat... sniper lies on the couch and begins to re-count...

"I was about 10, we were" huh, what? "Oh, a whole group of us... my brother and myself, my dad, a couple uncles, some of their friends and kids. probably close to 20 in total. a whole line of old snowmobiles and sleighs off in the wilderness"

"Anyways, we were fishing this lake, trying for lake trout, and not having much success, but we were still having fun. we had a big fire on the ice, and my dad had a big dutch oven hanging off a tripod filled with his yummy soup."

"all afternoon long, we could just go up, ladle out a cup, scarf it down, and get back to playing."

"and that's when it happened"...

*shudder*

*sob*

"my uncle walked by, glanced in the pot, then went to his sleigh... he... he.... he came back a couple minutes later..."

*shudder*

"and he said 'seems that the pot is getting a little low' And he dumped in a couple cans of klik, and a couple of spam."

"Man... The stink that came off that and permeated the area just about made everyone sick. It was absolutely disgusting. and the texture was even worse, it looked like a combination of dog food and dog puke"

"He was the only one who ate anything after that, I couldn't even go downwind of that pot."

Soaked, sniper sits up... shuddering at the remembery of a long suppressed event.

A laugh a minute
    Quote Originally Posted by mollypup View Post
    When Spam is cut into small chunks and mixed with unsalted cooked rice, it's actually pretty good. It gives salt and fat to the rice which always makes it taste better. If necessary, that's how I plan on serving a lot of our SHTF meals. Maybe not always Spam, but some other canned meat mixed with rice and/or beans/veggies. As long as it can all go into a single pot and into a solar cooker or on the campstove, then it's the meal of the day!
    One pot foods I call goulash or surprise meal. But yes the easy way and the fastest to cook in the SHTF I think would be in a dutch oven hanging over a fire.

A laugh a minute
    well It is a very productive day today. I downloaded a lot of info for me and all my ant family. Now I am watching TV.

I paid off another credit card (only two left!) and bought more paper bowls and plates. I'm still kicking myself for giving away all of our paper products when we went "green", only to really need them when the community water was tainted. Ugh!

Also added more money to the emergency fund. I know there was something else, but I forgot.
    Last edited by msomnipotent; 04-01-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Has been known to provide fake cat info
    Friday I spent 15 hours rewiring about 80% of my house. More to come.

This staved off SHTF via house fire. There was some scary, scary 1947 wiring in there, with even worse jury-rigged additions added at some point.

When I get the new breaker box in then I will be able to run a generator.

For the Love of Cats

I rewired my sunroom a few years ago, and even though the house is from 1989; the previous owners found some aluminium wire, and used that! worse than that, they tied it into the house copper using nothing but a couple twists and some black tape.

good on you for your work. everyday in safety will be a thanks to you for being proactive!

A laugh a minute
    Stopped at a yard sale and bought 5 planer's and a Skil 5.0 jig saw with a laser light. The planer's are size 11 to 6 and the 6 is a Stanley. the others don't have a name on them but they all say made in U.S.A. Cost---$4.00 everything works.

Where's the epi?

Ok, I can honestly say I will never eat Span or Vienna sausage....NO, it will not be packed in my BOB nor will you find one single can in my house...ever! Nasty stuff...I'm with you Sniper...*shudder**gag*
    I wonder if I can take my Beef A Roni and dehydrate it????? Hmmmmm.
    Today I weeded my garden area and turned all my raised beds (all by hand with just me and a shovel OMG!) I think I'm almost ready to plant some of my starters plus I bought 8 tomato plants and 8 strawberry plants. I think this week I'm going to put in my cuke and squash seeds too. I haven't really decided what to grow this year so I'm gonna wing it.
    I apologize for nothing...