Page 75 of 389 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

I'll most likely shit myself

I grow the rye thru the winter, it get's planted in late Sept/early Oct. It comes up maybe a coouple inch's before frost then just sets there and holds the soil in place thru the winter rains. Once it starts warming up the rye grows like crazy. It just turned April and it was almost knee high already and very thick.
    I turn it in the spring to build the soil. I use very little commercial fertilize and want to keep the nutrient level as high and balanced as I can. It will break down over the next few weeks and help feed the plants later this summer.
    I also grow Buckwheat thru the summer for the same reason. It'll grow about that high in 6 weeks or so. Turn it under and it breaks down quickly as well. I usually let some of it go to seed to harvest a little.
    I've been doing this mostly for about 15 years now and the ground is in about as good as now as it was when we moved here. I wish we had more trees, for the leaves. I get a lot of green product, but not nearly as much brown.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

240 more x39 fmj, and another 100 9mm. I also found a local museum that has ammo cans pretty cheap, they have a P51, a B25, and a B29 that do airshows, and since they actually use blanks in their 50's, they have lots of ammo cans marked M2 2009, so they are new-ish and in good shape, much better than gun show pricing, and it's a little over 5 minutes from home.

Also, I designed and built, a gas valve retainer plate for my Yugo AK, which eliminates the grenade launcher sight, which has some "slop" in the notches that externally lock over little ears machined into the gas valve, which makes the gas valve "de-index" from open, to mostly open, and creates FTE, and double feeds. I have the prototype made, and it holds REALLY tight, I've developed a less offensive looking design, and if the prototype works flawlessly, I'll change the look, but keep the function the same. This is designed to work in tandem with the CNCWarrior replacement M70 Gas valve, which fits great, but doesn't really fix the issue of the gas valve turning during extended firing even when the grenade sight is locked positively into the detent notches. I'll post a tech article once I have it all worked out, and proofed at the range..
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

For the Love of Cats

I`ve collected 12 2L bottles for food storage. cleaned and disinfected.... now I gotta shop!

GunnerMax
    Decided with the wife to use cloth diapers and a diaper service for our daughter. Reason being: less trash, more AMERICAN jobs, no midnight diaper runs, more natural, she will potty train quicker, and they are REUSABLE, so no dependence on diapers if/when SHTF And we will have 80 diapers on hand at any one time.
    $18 a week seems like a damn good investment for a diaper service.

Talking to the wife about another huge ammo order next month. I am getting it while I can.

I had my first Krav Maga lesson for self defense.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by carly View Post
    I had my first Krav Maga lesson for self defense.
    Did you like it?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I finally remembered the other thing I forgot. I ordered a new back pack now that I am into this thing that everyone calls "walking". It should be here today. It should have been here two days ago and I planned to test it out at a state park today, but oh well. Now to decide what to do with the other one.

I ordered some freeze-dried fruits and veggies. I really think that prices will skyrocket this summer. My cherry trees blossomed two months early and I would be shocked if we do not get at least one hard frost to ruin the fruit crops before they are ready.

A laugh a minute
    MS you can always make it a pack for the car, kids, dog, or first aid only. Just some idea's for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz Baby View Post
    MS you can always make it a pack for the car, kids, dog, or first aid only. Just some idea's for ya.
    It is a Kelty trekker 3950, so it is an external frame and too bulky for me. I have a minivan, so I can't hide it in the trunk and it will be a thieving scum magnet. I only bought it because I liked the colors (muted green and gray) and my husband had a much older Kelty external frame that he really likes. He still has it and you would never know it is older than dirt. I am kind of thinking of giving it to my nephew that is into camping and prepping, but I am also thinking about selling it or keeping it for trade. Even though it has my FAK and emergency supplies, I never bothered to take the tags off of it, so it shouldn't be too hard to sell as never been used. It is too big for my daughter and will be too big for some time. Right now, I am just using her school back pack from last year as her BOB because Hannah Montana rocks.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMax View Post
    Decided with the wife to use cloth diapers and a diaper service for our daughter. Reason being: less trash, more AMERICAN jobs, no midnight diaper runs, more natural, she will potty train quicker, and they are REUSABLE, so no dependence on diapers if/when SHTF And we will have 80 diapers on hand at any one time.
    $18 a week seems like a damn good investment for a diaper service.

Talking to the wife about another huge ammo order next month. I am getting it while I can.
    Gunner, you may want to investigate these. They are made such that the diapers can be adjusted for growth.

FuzziBunz® Modern Cloth Diapers, Wipes, Changing Pads and Nursing Pads: Earth Friendly Baby Care!
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com