Page 97 of 389 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

I have still yet to grow a brain
    bacpacker ok got it here it is:

Watermelon Rind Pickles

4 quarts cubed watermelon rind
    1 cup canning salt
    1 gallon cold water
    7 cups sugar
    1/2 cup thinly sliced lemon (about 1 medium)
    1 tablespoon whole cloves
    1 tablespoon whole allspice
    1/4 teaspoon mustard seed
    3 sticks cinnamon
    2 cups vinegar
    2 cups water

Peel watermelon rind, removing green and pink portions. Cut rind into 1-inch pieces, dissolve salt in water;add rind and let it stand 6 hours or overnight. Drain;rinse. Cover rind with cold water in large saucepot. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes; drain; set aside. Tie spices in a spice bag. Combine sugar, lemon slices, spice bag, vinegar and 2 cups water in a large saucepot. Bring mixture to a boil and cook 10 minutes. Add rind, simmer until rind is transparent. Remove spice bag. Pack hot rind and liquid into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes (adjusting for altitude it would be 20 minutes for Colorado) in a boiling water canner. Yield: about 6 pints.
    Last edited by Vodin; 05-31-2012 at 09:19 PM.

I'll most likely shit myself

Thanks Vodin. If our melons turn out this year (and they are off to a good start) we will give this a shot. It sounds good.

finally finished my garden been on a diet trying hard to get trimmed down found a motor to build my new boat motor with. trying to teach my sons how to fix things rather then buy new when it breaks. went scrapping and bought rounds for the 12 guage buck shot this time gotta love buck shot.

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

Bought a mega size bottle of Wally brand Naproxin Sodium (Aleave) at Sams
    And some cat litter.
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.

Bought another 12 pounds of rice and 6 pounds of beans picked up 500 band aids on sale for a dollar per 100 at dollar general and a few bottlesof antiseptic hand wash now off to walmart to get my weekly budget of pistol and rifle ammo.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Bought 1 Gallon Virgin Coconut Oil. Heals wounds faster, cook with it, use as a facial cream and I hear you use as a weapon oil ( havent gotten there yet but the first 3 are a go ).

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Just added a hogue overmolded hand guard pistol grip in OD, a cnc warrior side folder stock, hinge mechanism, 2 QD swivels, and PKM flash hider to my shopping cart, and a G2 FCG with retaining plate for my next 922r adventure with my 100% Romanian AK. Costing me more than the gun did in 1994. Lol
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Might send you the Swedish Vacu-pump 2000 when you've already said it's not your bag
    Picked myself up off the floor when the wife suggested we not only not spend the money on a fence where we are (really bad bug-in location) but start looking out for land for a bug-out location. We really can't afford it yet but we're paying off debt at an accelerated pace and if things hold together for a year (or more) we'll be able to get something, several acres to be sure.

I'll most likely shit myself

I've spent most of this week working in the garden and starting to harvest our wheat crop. Still got a long way to go with that, but I'm learning tons as I go. That was the main goal in the first place. I had never worked with wheat before, and like I try to mention to anyone who is planning to grow any or all of their own food after TSHTF, if you have never gardened before or very little, you better get started. Growing food is not the easiest thing you can do, There are lots of critters, weather to deal with, planting seasons, fertilization, & many other issues to learn how to deal with. I've been gardening for more than 35 years and every year I learn something new.

Other issues to learn about, what varities of veggies do you like? Which one will grow in the zone you live in? What are the growing dates in your area? How fertile is the ground in your area? What minerals do you need? There is a lot of things to take into consideration and lots of learning to be done. If you have any type food growing plans for bad times, I would highly recommend getting started soon.

For the Love of Cats

Spent most of the last week working on my garden. A couple last minute things to go (because I have the space), and I'm done.

4-1/2 months til snow!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.