Page 50 of 389 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

A laugh a minute
    sniper T, how do you dehydrate chili? Won,t the juice run through the holes?

For the Love of Cats

you use the plastic tray sleeves, aka fruit rollup trays.

you can see them pictured in this thead here:

http://www.shtfready.com/food-water/...nique-957.html

where I dehydrated lasagne, and turkey soup

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I made a GIANT Farady cage out of a truck bed toolbox and mounted it to the wall in my barn. Pics to come...........
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    This was actually last weekend, but I didn't have the pics up yet.

I made up a HUGE batch of chili, and dehydrated most of it for LTS. It's all broken down into serving sizes for my wife and I, and vacusealed, then packed into an airtight drum.

a few pics of the process:

Grinding the meat (in this case deer):

Chopping onions:

Frying the meat with garlic, onions and celery:

Blending flavours:

Once it was all ready, I popped the pots into the oven to simmer, for about 4 hours then loaded up the dehydrator trays.

That looks terrible and would you ship me some asap.....lol. Seriously though, I like the grinder set-up you have. I worked out a trade with a guy I work with--I have eggs and he has deer meat. 1 dozen eggs=1 pound of ground deer meat every week (more if he needs them)
    Last edited by LUNCHBOX; 01-24-2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

For the Love of Cats

nice arrangement!

my dad built that grinder back in the 50's I could not even count how many animals have been through that thing!

I've set up a bracket on the back side of the grinder, so I can mount my grain mill, and if I pop the belt off the motor, I can put a spare long belt on there, and run off of a bicycle tire on a wind-trainer.

I'll most likely shit myself

I got my new power supply Ham Radio Outlet | ALINCO DM-330MVT | 5-15VDC 30 AMP SWITCHING PWR SUPPLY - GV wired up and hooked up to my home radio. Tested everything out and it worked as good as it did with the old supply. This supply is so much better quality than my old one. Plus it is a 30 amp unit, where the old one was only 20 amps. Plus it has circuitry in it to protect the radio's running off it.

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    I made a GIANT Farady cage out of a truck bed toolbox and mounted it to the wall in my barn. Pics to come...........
    Well I hope it's made out of aluminum, er ah, foil, ah, stuff, ya know? So it will deflect electromagnectic swamp farts refracting off of Uranus. Cause that stuff can give you brain damage man.............my wife said "NO" to the shipping container. Maybe it was the cost of the crane and the trac hoe to dig and bury it? Izzy you Kill me...

Be safe............the night is your friend.

Bacon saver

Harbor Frieght Experiment

Picked up the 45watt solar panel kit. Going to do some experimenting with that testing out different lights and appliances in the 12VDC system. Have to figure out what types of things the wife wants to throw out now before we buy them all in bulk for the new homestead. I think I saw her thumbing through a Backwoods Solar catalog making a list of different things to look up and order off the internet to try out. Best figure it out now.

Be safe............the night is your friend

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    Picked up the 45watt solar panel kit. Going to do some experimenting with that testing out different lights and appliances in the 12VDC system. Have to figure out what types of things the wife wants to throw out now before we buy them all in bulk for the new homestead. I think I saw her thumbing through a Backwoods Solar catalog making a list of different things to look up and order off the internet to try out. Best figure it out now.

Be safe............the night is your friend
    I looked at a solar kit on Harbor Freight yesterday but didn't make the plunge to buy it. I'm still trying to figure out everything that I'll need and how to hook it all together. It's so hard trying to figure out which the best 12 v deep cycle battery, which is the best inverter I can get for the amount I have to spend (not much) and how do I get the whole thing working? I bought a book on solar panel uses but it's waaaaay over my head and starts off with bigger projects than I had in mind. I'd just like to be able to use a computer, maybe the TV and to recharge batteries and electronics. That kit on Harbor Freight only gives you the panels, but not a battery. I can't remember now if it included a inverter. Is there a thread here somewhere discussing solar panels and how to use them????

BTW, I ordered one of these earlier this morning. A dutch oven from Amazon for about 40 dollars. Amazon.com: Universal Housewares Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Camping Dutch Oven: Kitchen & Dining

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    Well I hope it's made out of aluminum, er ah, foil, ah, stuff, ya know? So it will deflect electromagnectic swamp farts refracting off of Uranus. Cause that stuff can give you brain damage man.............my wife said "NO" to the shipping container. Maybe it was the cost of the crane and the trac hoe to dig and bury it? Izzy you Kill me...

Be safe............the night is your friend.
    You're right. Yes, it is aluminum. and it has this really cool SHTFREADY paint scheme........... that I may have gotten a buzz from..............cause I'm stupid and spray painted inside............. SOmetimes I dont think things through.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.