Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
MsO.. . sorry to hear that things arent going as well as can be hoped for, but remember, what doesnt kill you makes you stronger!

If its prying into personal details, please feel free to tell me to kindly kick rocks, but im curious as to how your preps got destroyed during the summer/fall? What it that you had to use them in re: to the house burning down? Im just going by your post, but that didnt seem to be the case, but I may have read it wrong as well. Anything we can do to help get ya back on track?

It was a series of unfortunate events. The Jap beetles were especially bad this summer and killed all of our fruit trees except one cherry tree. The garden went to hell because of a few things, name Jap beetles and my time spent getting the cottage in order. Then an undetected mouse tore open the bags of stored rice. And instead of my cat getting the mouse, she decided to ruin several months worth of pet food, treats, and packaged food and spice mixes by tearing and chewing the bags. Or it was a combination of the cat and mouse. A few gallons of water leaked all over, which ruined a 50 lb bag of dog food and a couple of shelves. Plus, someone was shopping in my basement again while I was fixing up the cottage. A noticeable amount of toilet paper and canned goods walked off along with almost all of my batteries. Between that, several big-ticket items breaking (like the car and the computer, among other things), and needing to hire a lawyer to sue some stupid bitch, I haven't had the money or patience to replace my things.

The things I gave to my brother in law's family were just some things I set aside for bartering and some things I was selling on Craigslist and bookoo to pay for the lawyer. Their daughter happened to be my daughter's size in clothes and has the same interests, so I was able to give them quite a bit. Plus, I took a couple of things that I was going to give to my daughter for Christmas so she could have something new or for her parents to set aside to give to her. I had a few things for the mother, but I feel really bad that I had nothing for the other kids or husband.

I really appreciate the offer, but I'm just going to get back on track little by little. It is no use getting more things that are going to be ruined or walk off. I have been talking with my husband about some things, and things are going very well at work for him. We are hoping for a decent bonus in a few months since he fixed some critical problems and they are giving him more work and responsibility. So I figure I will just look for used locking containers for now and buy a bunch of preps if and when the bonus comes.

At least they didn't touch the expensive stuff I had hidden in old boxes in the basement! And I found a bottle of good whisky I had stashed in there. I have come to find that it has aged very well!