Quote Originally Posted by mollypup View Post
I looked at a solar kit on Harbor Freight yesterday but didn't make the plunge to buy it. I'm still trying to figure out everything that I'll need and how to hook it all together. It's so hard trying to figure out which the best 12 v deep cycle battery, which is the best inverter I can get for the amount I have to spend (not much) and how do I get the whole thing working? I bought a book on solar panel uses but it's waaaaay over my head and starts off with bigger projects than I had in mind. I'd just like to be able to use a computer, maybe the TV and to recharge batteries and electronics. That kit on Harbor Freight only gives you the panels, but not a battery. I can't remember now if it included a inverter. Is there a thread here somewhere discussing solar panels and how to use them????

BTW, I ordered one of these earlier this morning. A dutch oven from Amazon for about 40 dollars. Amazon.com: Universal Housewares Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Camping Dutch Oven: Kitchen & Dining
OH, "no" it doesn't come with an inverter as we would want. One that would turn on and off to maintain the battery's charge automaticly. Hey we have to start cheap and experiment a little bit the way I see it. Plus, I think I'll be able to use these panels elsewhere later. I bought an additional 50" of wire and a terminal block to extend the range and bring the box into the house to run out little solar experiment.

Hey, for an additional $35 you can get a "smash and crash" warranty for your sytem/panels for I think was 2 yrs no questions asked FREE REPLACEMENT. So maybe before the 2 yrs is up I'll trade'em in.

Be safe.................the night is your friend