I replaced my broken ham radio with a new one, got the same TYT TH-9800. The old one was less than a yr old, but during a com check several yrs ago, the short mike cord while talking pulled it off the side table and onto the floor which broke the knobs on the front. I also dropped and broke my iPad while trying to catch the radio. So I took a lesson from Hogan’s Hero’s and screwed it onto the inside door of the side table cabinet. I drilled two holes in the back, one for the antenna and one for the power cord. The power unit is beside the radio with everything hooked up, but hidden away, safe and sound. I bet even Sargent Shultz couldn’t find it. Now if only I could remember to get on the com checks when they are scheduled...I blame old age.
Also almost finished with the covered front porch, and it’s looking pretty good. I ran a new wire from a closet light switch to get a power line so I can put in a ceiling fan on the porch, which I will do tomorrow. Now the missus is thinking of putting a 15’ above ground pool of from the side of the porch. That would help me get some better exercise for my knee and hip, which aren’t doing well since my fall on the steps of the old porch. Plus it would be a huge water storage reservoir.
I’ve also ordered 24 good quality rechargeable AA batteries. I’ve bought cheap ones in the past, but I think with batteries, you get what you pay for. And I ordered a new solar charger for them. Also ordered a 12V solar trickle charger to keep the batteries up on the RV, all from Amazon. In my opinion, try and get as much solar equipment as you can afford, even the cheap solar yard lights from the Dollar Store will light up a room when it’s dark outside...sorry...I’ll get off my soap box now.
P.S. I still hate the dog.