Page 387 of 389 FirstFirst ... 287337377385386387388389 LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,870 of 3889

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I replaced my broken ham radio with a new one, got the same TYT TH-9800. The old one was less than a yr old, but during a com check several yrs ago, the short mike cord while talking pulled it off the side table and onto the floor which broke the knobs on the front. I also dropped and broke my iPad while trying to catch the radio. So I took a lesson from Hogan’s Hero’s and screwed it onto the inside door of the side table cabinet. I drilled two holes in the back, one for the antenna and one for the power cord. The power unit is beside the radio with everything hooked up, but hidden away, safe and sound. I bet even Sargent Shultz couldn’t find it. Now if only I could remember to get on the com checks when they are scheduled...I blame old age.
    Also almost finished with the covered front porch, and it’s looking pretty good. I ran a new wire from a closet light switch to get a power line so I can put in a ceiling fan on the porch, which I will do tomorrow. Now the missus is thinking of putting a 15’ above ground pool of from the side of the porch. That would help me get some better exercise for my knee and hip, which aren’t doing well since my fall on the steps of the old porch. Plus it would be a huge water storage reservoir.
    I’ve also ordered 24 good quality rechargeable AA batteries. I’ve bought cheap ones in the past, but I think with batteries, you get what you pay for. And I ordered a new solar charger for them. Also ordered a 12V solar trickle charger to keep the batteries up on the RV, all from Amazon. In my opinion, try and get as much solar equipment as you can afford, even the cheap solar yard lights from the Dollar Store will light up a room when it’s dark outside...sorry...I’ll get off my soap box now.
    P.S. I still hate the dog.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    With the food prices rising, and with meat potentially becoming a rare commodity, I ordered a 1/2 side of beef from my massage therapists husband. No hormones, free range, and all that good stuff. Should be ready and in the freezer in about a month.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    Well, bought a new set of handheld radios. Should be here on the 19th. A pair of Baofeng UV-82 MK5's. My Quanshengs have about outlived their lives. I've had them for about 7yrs and used them on a daily basis. Don't seem to find them around anymore. Time for an upgrade.
    I have an -82 as well. Found online a cheat sheet for it, and in looking for the full manual lost both... razzafrazzin...shortcoming of buying gear from pawnshops.

The pre-ban Baofeng UV-5Rs are still available on the Bay... was me, and the cash available, I'd get 3-4, with individual charger and battery for each, and a battery eliminator for car ops. Laminated cheat sheet attached to each unit. (Come to that, cheat sheets for all my rigs, chip-driven or not.)

Bacon saver

What I "still" dislike about the Baofengs is that you can't name the channels you program unless you do it by "computer" other than that you can fatfinger the keypad for pretty much everything else in the field. The rubber duck antennae sucks. At's a throw away right off the bat. I've yet to program and optest these things so there will be more to follow on that one.

At this point I'm not actually adding shit to this thread so I'm outta here!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

We have actually built up a few stores of canned and dried food. Should the predicted second wave hit us in late summer or early fall, I think we will see panic buying that makes the toilet paper shortage look minor.

We have actually built up a few stores of canned and dried food. Should the predicted second wave hit us in late summer or early fall, I think we will see panic buying that makes the toilet paper shortage look minor.

A suggestion is that everyone learn to build a rocket stove. Where we are we have reliable water and natural gas. However, a good earthquake and the water mains break, gas lines rupture. What to do? I have a propane gas grill and always have several bottles around. In addition I have a Coleman camp stove. What if I get to the point of being out of propane without a way to resupply? I build a rocket stove. Simple, very efficient and easily powered by small bits of wood, tree branches, etc. Look at Youtube for a video tutorial on how to build one.

Walking on Sunshine

Hey all long time no post. We've got 6 of the 7 raised beds all going right now(ANYBODY want salad greens LOL) Been keeping an eye on what's happening here. Had a bunch of idjits start a spike in the the virus No Masks, all grouped up for a restaurant in town over from us.Restaurant had to close down. We're doing good otherwise. DH decided we're going to take a chance and go down to see Son1 and family this week end before the 4th. Face Time isn't cutting it, we've not seen the kids (in person) for over a year now.We'll be taking good precautions and not stopping for food only gas and "potty stops" In and out. Have been stocking up on non food stuffs. I made laundry soap last month, think I went a little overboard. I now have enough for the next 2 years, I followed the directions didn't think it would make THAT much.Have been using it and it seems to work real well and neither of us have had any skin problems, so far. DIL1 had her carpal tunnel surgery (both wrists) and picked up an infection so they had to cancel their trip here. Plus Granddaughter one has moved to dad's and has been accepted into a very good volleyball program. She did a camp last year with the coach. Coach said she was very good, so when coach heard GRD1 was now going to be there , she extended the invite to the program. SO even IF they could travel , they are staying put as GRD1 has to get some instructions to catch up with the rest of the team. So have a Great 4th and stay safe.

I'll most likely shit myself

Safe Travels Kat

Walking on Sunshine

Thanks bp. I'm hoping this will be uneventful and can get back home safely.

may be in trouble

https://youtu.be/kmDYUrVHPWc for the 4 cinder block version.