Page 1 of 389 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Crotch Rocket

What have you done to prep this week?

This could be an item you've bought, or an action you've taken. It doesn't have to be anything you've completed. Just something you've made advances in.

For instance. So far this week I've been reconfiguring my MOLLE gear, I've made steps forward in convincing my future wife to relocate. I replaced an emergency poncho in my GHB with my USGI type (due to reading an evac story where the former shredded quickly under high winds and heavy rain), and I ordered a countycomm EOD Breacher Bar. Finally, I'm looking into guerrilla gardening techniques for growing a few things at work.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

bought a small back packer stove for the bag. 20 bucks at sportsman warehouse

I'll most likely shit myself

This week has all been gardening related. Repurchased tomato, pepper, cabbage plants to replace the damaged stuff. Hope to replant this weekend.
    Hoe'd and dusted what's left of the taters and harvested some onion's.
    Picked up 2 cases of 1/2 gallon mason jars. A 15 gallon metal washtub, and a 12 gallon metal bucket with lid for chicken feed.
    Gonna build a bigger box to keep the chicks in until they go into the chicken tractor.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Ordered an FN FNP 45 Tactical
    Tried to replant most of my garden.
    Started saving and filtering bacon grease.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Premium Member

I added a second deep cycle (well, Advance Auto Parts marine) battery to my backup power supply. This power supply will run some lights, the computer, my radio equipment and a fan and CPAP.
    I have them hooked to a quality marine battery charger that runs of the 120V grid ... I want to replace this charger with solar. I considered a windmill but I'm surrounded by big oaks. I'm not able to get the unit up high enough to assure a daily charge.
    I would like to see other peoples ideas for emergency back up power. Right now I have the two batteries wired to office run my ham gear and an inverter to power the desktop computer and printers or to conserve power use the laptop. I also run a DC line to the bedroom and another inverter to to run a light, fan and CPAP. I wired most of this when I rebuilt that part of the house. I wish I had understood wire size requirements of DC circuits before I put in the drywall. I used 12 ga and the voltage drop when I keyed up the radio was unacceptable. So I had to move the batteries from the garage to a battery box I built on the outside wall of my office and run 8ga wire from the from the battery box. The 12ga was ok to the bedroom.
    Last edited by alpmco; 05-06-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    War is ugly, but to be dominated by aliens is even uglier!

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by izzyscout21 View Post
    Started saving and filtering bacon grease.
    I always save bacon grease. I have to have it to cook properly! Being in the Boy Scouts has a great advantage ... the scouts always cook bacon on camp outs. I can almost fill a mayonaise jar if all the patrols cook bacon. I rarely get any grease from the adult patrol. We just divide the grease up and use it with our eggs and hash browns. When camping watching cholesterol is not as important as staying regular!
    War is ugly, but to be dominated by aliens is even uglier!

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I re-organized and re-planned my maxpedition Jumbo pack GHB - figured out a few things I need to make it a more practical carry every day, although it does ride shotgun on trips, it spends lots of time in the trunk during the day, I need a MOLLE shooting glasses case, and some type of organizer for the inside to make things more accessible than they are now. This bag doubles as a range bag most of the time, AND i frequently need my cheapo protective eyewear/shooting glasses at work, so a MOLLE case is pretty necessary.

I bought more x39 ammo, and packed it into my famous 120 rnd. food saver battle packs labeled and dated them and put them in ammo cans.

Shopped a little for a .22 pocket pistol replacement for the one I carry now, pretty much settled on the beretta bobcat, or taurus pt22 I encounter lots of dogs on the job, and want something super discreet that customers won't notice while I'm in their homes.

Lots of vehicle maintenance starts tomorrow, on wife's car, and the BOV which has a steering shaft recall, if you have an old body style Nissan Xterra, call the stealership, give them your VIN, and get'er fixed for free (if covered).

I'll most likely shit myself

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    Shopped a little for a .22 pocket pistol replacement for the one I carry now, pretty much settled on the beretta bobcat, or taurus pt22.
    AK I got a Bobcat .22 for the wife back in the 90's. It has never failed to shoot for us. Great little pocket pistol.
    Made a run to Sams for some food stocks, ziplocs, drink mixes, tp & other stuff. Also stopped by B&N ( I'm a book whore, Ok tool, gear, I guess just a whore), anyway I ran across a new magazine I had to get. Survivalist ! I haven't got to look thru it yet, but this issue, which is #2, appears to be mostly on weapons. I'll give a better report after I get a chance to look thru it. At first glance it reminded me of the old American Survival Guide mag, which I really enjoied reading.

Crotch Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    Lots of vehicle maintenance starts tomorrow, on wife's car, and the BOV which has a steering shaft recall, if you have an old body style Nissan Xterra, call the stealership, give them your VIN, and get'er fixed for free (if covered).
    Good point on the vehicle maintenance. I just dropped my Bravada off for repairs today. The pitman/ idler arms, steering gear box, EGR valve, and the oil coolant lines are all getting replaced. That's the major stuff. Once I get it back I'll have to put new tires on and get an alignment. Minor repairs are new door bushing for the driver's door, and hopefully he can repair the mounting point and replace the driver's side lift arm (piston?) to my hatch. That one froze, broke the mount, and blew through the top of my hatch... yet noone knows how/ when that could have happened.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Honestly, most of my prepping has consisted of getting the house put back together after the move.

Most of what I've done prep wise has been oriented towards organizing gear and trying to store it in some efficient manner. It's a good exercise actually.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout