Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: National weather service ammo purchase.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Why are these all HP ammo? Of course they would want HP for duty carry but for range practice?
    I know Cincinnati PD uses their duty ammo for range practice.

It's also a good idea to ensure your duty ammo works in your service weapon.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    I asked my brother about the NOAA ammo purchases since is retired Coast Guard and did a lot of fishery related boardings. He says the Coasties would be armed but the Fisheries person was usually a student intern who of course was not. His comment about the article: "This is scary. "
    Further reading for education:

Purpose of NOAA Office of Law Enforcement

From the above link...

NOAA's Office of Law Enforcement is dedicated to enforcing laws that conserve and protect our nation's living marine resources and their natural habitat. Our goal is to assure that the many people who enjoy these resources for recreation or rely on them for business follow the rules that will maintain the species for future generations.

NOAA's Office of Law Enforcement protects fish stocks from depletion and marine mammals from extinction. We also protect the livelihoods of commercial fishers, the hobbies of recreational fishers, and the health of seafood consumers.

While scientists provide the research and councils provide the regulatory framework to manage our nation's fisheries, NOAA's mandate to end overfishing would be impossible without its Office of Law Enforcement to follow through on the rest of NOAA's hard work.
    NOAA Office of Law Enforcement Training Info

There are a lot of aspects of our Federal Government that should give us pause. This is not one of them.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Bacon saver

Hat's off to all of you guys for pickin this one apart. All valid questions, if JHP's are so great why don't we get to use them in the military all the time? Well it's against the Geneva Convention. You could hurt somebody really bad! So we have to use "Ball rounds" Full metal Jackets. I've worked with the "Puddle pirates" Coast Guard chasin drug runners numerous times before. They use the same things we do. Can't say I ever ran across a NOAA fisheries LEO trying to protect a damn thing anywhere off our coasts. I'll agree to "It sounds a bit "fishy" to me" as well. Awfully expensive training ammo, if they are worried about it feeding then they bought shitty weapons. Why .40 cal? Who shoots that anymore except maybe the alphabet soup agencies. Just my thoughts.

Be safe...............the night is your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    Hat's off to all of you guys for pickin this one apart. All valid questions, if JHP's are so great why don't we get to use them in the military all the time? Well it's against the Geneva Convention.
    [Pedantic mode] The Hague Convention of 1899, Declaration III, prohibited the use in international warfare of bullets that easily expand or flatten in the body.[3] This is often incorrectly believed to be prohibited in the Geneva Conventions, but it significantly predates those conventions, and is in fact a continuance of the St. Petersburg Declaration of 1868, which banned exploding projectiles of less than 400 grams, as well as weapons designed to aggravate injured soldiers or make their death inevitable. NATO members do not use small arms ammunition that is prohibited by the Hague Convention. From HERE [/Pedantic Mode]

Why .40 cal? Who shoots that anymore except maybe the alphabet soup agencies?
    Many local LEO organizations along with civilians continue to use .40SW. Its not unused by any stretch.

Grand Poobah of the Smart Car Appreciation Society
    It depends on the agency and some of the agency like my old agency had only 25 people total for the whole United States and alot of times we had to ask for help from the bigger agency in the federal side of law enforcement .

Grand Poobah of the Smart Car Appreciation Society
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I know Cincinnati PD uses their duty ammo for range practice.

It's also a good idea to ensure your duty ammo works in your service weapon.
    We did the same thing to make the person know what and how you duty weapon will perform when it fired for real in the line of duty .I remember when guys who carried 357 mag full blown hot ammo on duty but would pratice with weak 38.special ppc type ammo to get the good score on the range .

That way i like a semi auto handgun it make you pratice with what you carry in the way of full power loads

I'll most likely shit myself

Here is a "out in left field" question for you. Something crossed my mind today.. Anyone remember Iran/Contra? What are the chances all these large ammo purchases are being used, at least in portion, to be funneled into some OP somewhere? Syria maybe. Some of these buys have been going on long enough they could have contributed to the Arab Spring in Egypt and Libya last year.

Just thinkin out loud.

For the Love of Cats

fyi... almost EVERY LEO agency in Canada carries and uses a .40. that is standard practice. they train with it, and use it!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    [Pedantic mode] The Hague Convention of 1899, Declaration III, prohibited the use in international warfare of bullets that easily expand or flatten in the body.[3] This is often incorrectly believed to be prohibited in the Geneva Conventions, but it significantly predates those conventions, and is in fact a continuance of the St. Petersburg Declaration of 1868, which banned exploding projectiles of less than 400 grams, as well as weapons designed to aggravate injured soldiers or make their death inevitable. NATO members do not use small arms ammunition that is prohibited by the Hague Convention. From HERE [/Pedantic Mode]

Many local LEO organizations along with civilians continue to use .40SW. Its not unused by any stretch.
    Damn dude could you slap me any harder? Next time wet your hand so it'll sting a little Stig. As far as all the LEO posts that followed I'll claim "ignorance" at this point. My experience has been strictly military so I was issued 9mm and .45 match grade both FMJ ball (brainwashed). So you Civies have educated me once more. When I retired I headed for the woods. So I did not keep up with what LEO and other Agencies used anymore, it was of no importance. Besides, Common sense dictates (to me) to stick with common rounds. 90% of the time I shoot you, you'll be carrying 9mm or 45. So all others just seem useless. FYI, I reload my own handgun ammo and I use both FMJ and JHP and I fire the shit out of both in my weps. I make my loads for each pistol and what makes them happy. But in order to shoot good, you have to shoot. You don't have to have "hot" loads to make that kill shot, it's all about shot placement. Just my opinion, and yes asshole's my middle name. Thanks for the lesson gentlemen, I "seriously" do appreciate it.

Be safe..............the night is your friend.
    Last edited by Brownwater Riverrat 13; 08-17-2012 at 03:44 AM.

Damn dude could you slap me any harder? Next time wet your hand so it'll sting a little Stig.
    Sorry....my pedantic/anal retentive mode kicks in when I read the "Geneva Convention means no JHP for the military" stuff.

Sortof like when someone calls a magazine a clip. I simply can't help myself and correct them.

Yes....I am a dork.