Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: TS Storm/Hurricane Isaac

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Well kids looks like I'm gonna get my first taste of a Hurricane this year after all.

I'm so happy I could shit.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

I hadn't saw that site before Willie, Thanks. Looks like a pretty comprehensive site.

As of this morning it looks like she's tracking towards Mobile which means a lot of Florida will get a lot of rain as it moves into/up the Gulf and the panhandle over towards my way will get the brunt of it. If it does make landfall in Mobile we'll take a decent hit as we're only 60 miles west.

Am going to fill up my reserve gas tanks tonight, Mrs Stig is heading to Lowes for last minute supplies today and we'll have to hunker down and wait to see what it does if it follows the current track. My understanding is once it enters the Gulf of Mexico its very likely to pick up steam and go from Tropical Storm to Cat 1.

FWIW If it does rumble through my area I'm hoping to keep notes/diary of the event so I can create a thread here. I was thinking something like some discussion of prepping my house before hand, posting what happened during and then the aftermath here. Perhaps that would be interesting. Then our old hands in Florida can get a laugh at a Yankee's first go with a storm anyway!

Correction: just looked at the latest models and it appears it may hook back eastward after entering the Gulf and track more towards Tallahassee which means we'll still get some grief but more like rain. I'm guessing in that case the Ants in the western coast of Florida would get some issues given the overall size of the storm.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

At least you guys get some warning. Earthquakes just sneak up on you.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

For the Love of Cats

Take some pics if you can Stig. during, and after. see the aftermath
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Premium Member
    Still got a long way to go, but this storm is huge (size of Texas) and right now carrying 12 to 15 inches of rain with it. The panhandle can't take much more rain since it's been flooding there all summer practically. We were leaving this afternoon headed to Panama City for the weekend to see the kids. We just called it....gonna hunker down in southeast coastal Florida. Stig, be careful. A Cat 1 is not fun, but this one has potential to be a Cat 2, possibly a Cat 3. It will hit open gulf waters which are 90 degrees in temp once it leaves the Keys area. Remember that Hurricane Andrew was only a TS up until 36 hours out of Miami and btw, yesterday was the 20 year anniversary of Andrew. I worked that storm and still have never seen anything like it to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie51 View Post
    Still got a long way to go, but this storm is huge (size of Texas) and right now carrying 12 to 15 inches of rain with it. The panhandle can't take much more rain since it's been flooding there all summer practically. We were leaving this afternoon headed to Panama City for the weekend to see the kids. We just called it....gonna hunker down in southeast coastal Florida. Stig, be careful. A Cat 1 is not fun, but this one has potential to be a Cat 2, possibly a Cat 3. It will hit open gulf waters which are 90 degrees in temp once it leaves the Keys area. Remember that Hurricane Andrew was only a TS up until 36 hours out of Miami and btw, yesterday was the 20 year anniversary of Andrew. I worked that storm and still have never seen anything like it to date.
    That's what really has me worried Willie. Once she hits the Gulf it's full steam ahead from what I understand so we're taking precautions seriously.

I don't know if I'm excited to face the challenge or dreading dealing with it but either way this will be....well...par for the course for August.

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

Congrats Stig. You may get deflowered. Least it ain't a cat 3 or worse. Hang tough, be ready, you will be fine.
    Just because we are peaceful does not mean we have forgotten how to be violent.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    That's what really has me worried Willie. Once she hits the Gulf it's full steam ahead from what I understand so we're taking precautions seriously.

I don't know if I'm excited to face the challenge or dreading dealing with it but either way this will be....well...par for the course for August.
    At least you're on the better side of the storm. You don't want to be on the right hand side if you can help it.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie51 View Post
    At least you're on the better side of the storm. You don't want to be on the right hand side if you can help it.
    Which is why we always get hammered :/
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.