Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From the "Book of Formulas"

Where's the epi?

From the "Book of Formulas"

I bought the DH this book last year that is full of 'recipes, methods and secret processes' and thought you would enjoy some of the things that are in it and being done back in 1935. It was put out by Popular Science and really cool. So here ya go and hope you enjoy and maybe you can even use some of the old ways if shtf. Remember that these things were in 1935 so for us they may sound weird but hey, ya never know...

[B]To stop leaks in radiators[B]
    * Dilute shellac with equal parts of water (e.g. one cup of shellac and one cup of water). Pour one cup of solution into the water in the radiator.

Another recipe to stop radiator leaks
    * 1 oz Glycerin
    5 oz Water
    1/2 oz Flaxseed

Hydraulic Brake Fluid
    * Hydraulic brake fluid for cars is equal parts of denatured alcohol and castor oil. According to the book, the alcohol thins the oil and acts as an anti-freeze. The castor oil lubricates the piston and is the fluid through which the pressure is transmitted.

Removing Stains
    * Blood stains - remove in water with amonia or use hydrogen peroxide

* Candle drippings - remove with lard and benzol

Disinfecting Clothes This seemed to be a very important one so I am copying it exactly as written in the book:
    * Clothes worn by a person suffering from or exposed to a contagious disease, or bed linen, may be disinfected previous to washing by immersion in one of the following solutions for one hour:
    - A 5% dilution of the commercial solution of formaldehyde (formalin)
    - A 1% solution of phenol (pure carbolic acid)
    - A 1/2% solution of liquor cresolis compositus

Infected clothing may also be readily sterilized by immersing in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Woolen goods may be disinfected by immersing in water maintained at a temperature of 165 degrees F. for 20 minutes. If the goods are then carefully washed and dried, no undue shrinkage of the garments should result and the infectious agents of disease except those due to spore-forming bacteria, such as anthrax or gas gangrene, will have been destroyed.

The person who handles the infected garments should wear some form of apron to protect the clothing, and this apron should be disinfected immediately after the soiled clothes are handled. Also the hands and forearms should be thoroughly scrubbed with soap, water, annd a nail brush for 10 minutes by the clock, and thoroughly rinsed in either the phenol solution or the cresolis solution mentioned above or in a 1 to 1,000 solution of bichloride of mercury.

These precautions are necessary in order to prevent the germs on the clothes being carried to the mouth of one handling the clothes or indirectly to the mouths of others. - from Farmers Bull. 1497, U.S. Dept. Agr.

Repelling/killing roaches
    *One part Borax to 3 parts finely pulverized chocolate sprinkled in places where there are roach problems. Any other food that attracts roaches can be substituted for the chocolate

Testing gold This could be useful if bartering or gold becomes a means of our monetary system should the dollar fail.
    * To test and find out if jewelry is gold, brass or any other yellow metal, it can be done by touching it with a drop of strong nitric acid using a glass rod. If it is brass or yellow metal alloy or the gold has worn off revealing the yellow metal alloy the drop will form copper nitrate which shows it's appearance by a stain, coloring of the acid, and evolution of red gas. Gold, whether plated upon or solid will produce neither of those reactions.

Ok, that's enough for now. Will look through some more later. If anyone has any requests on "how to's" or how to make things the old fashioned way let me know and I'll look it up.
    I apologize for nothing...

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Im glad somebody is enjoying that book besides myself! As LadyHK stated, this book is awesome! Its a older book, but it can be found out there on Amazon or other book sites, definitely a MUST HAVE item for your BOL! The sheer amount of information in it makes it worth its price!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

I'll most likely shit myself

I got that same book last fall from someone on here that recommended it. I haen't had a chance to use it yet, but there is a bunch of useful ifo in it from what I have went thru so far. It worth having on hand IMO.

For the Love of Cats

Sounds great! does anyone have a pdf handy?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do you have a robot?
    Ok you have tweaked my interest, so I bought the book. I got it on amazon for $2 but there was $3.50 shipping so not bad. The only thing that I do not like about this post is mixing the chocolate with the Borax, it makes it taste funny.

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    ...Repelling/killing roaches
    *One part Borax to 3 parts finely pulverized chocolate sprinkled in places where there are roach problems. Any other food ... can be substituted for the chocolate
    try peanut butter

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

You got a good deal. I payed $17 for mine.

T I have not saw a pdf for it anywhere. I checked kindle before I purchased. Apparently it is just to old that no one has converted it.

Do you have a robot?
    Bacpacker I went to Amazon just to check out the book, this one is used but since it was so cheap compared to the others I jumped on it. Just lucky I guess.
    Sniper do I mix the chocolate with the peanut butter or with the Borax or put them all together for desert?

For the Love of Cats

No sense mixing chocolate with peanut butter, Reece has already perfected it.

http://www.candyblog.net/blog/item/w...t_butter_cups/

Do you have a robot?
    You are right, my wife likes to make them for Christmas.

Sorry off the subject........... Ok so does anyone have any suggestions on some other books like this?