Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2,400 Calorie S.O.S. Food Bar review

2,400 Calorie S.O.S. Food Bar review

I ordered the 2,400 Calorie S.O.S. Food Bar from Emergency Essentials on 4-8-11, and given their shipping history, I probably received it the next business week. It sat in my car through Midwestern cold winters and extreme heat this entire time. I put in it my console as soon as I received it in the mail so it has been siting in my car either in a parking lot or uninsulated garage for more than a year.

I just opened it last week because we were starving after an ill-timed meeting 1 1/2 hrs away from our home. My husband, who is one of those that can eat and eat and still be somewhat skinny had a full bar, felt good enough until we got home. My young daughter and I got full before we finished our bars, but we are both light eaters. The texture was kind of greasy at first, and kind of like a grainy shortbread cookie. Smelled a bit like coconut shortbread cookie, but not a lot. I hate coconut and this was just enough. It wasn't gross or even slightly inedible. We were very hungry and it tasted pretty ok. I think it might have been just our brains, but we wanted drinks with this. This is supposed to be for low-water situations and not make you thirsty, but we were thirsty.

My husband and I opened some more today because we were in the car for hours and missed dinner. And I missed lunch. The texture was much less greasy, but much more crumbly. No smell this time. We had a Capri Sun but didn't feel like we needed it. One of the wrappers were already off from just opening the package last time, but it was still edible. All in all, a definite buy again.

Pics to add later! Sorry!

I'll most likely shit myself

Good review. I have meant to buy a few of those for my ghb but never have. That is something i need to pick.

For the Love of Cats

I've got a few of these kicking around too. in the truck, boat kit, snowmobile. My wife always packs some along when we do an extended canoe or camping trip. They're edible but nothing special. although a smear of peanut butter goes a long way in improving taste.

They do say 'low water' not 'NO water'. You do need to drink something with these, or they will upset your tummy.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

My tummy was ok without a drink, thank God. I didn't realize you were supposed to drink with this. What would I have done if I was stuck in traffic with an upset stomach? Bleh!

For the Love of Cats

lol. a couple years ago, my wife got serious into running so she started using those energy gels and didn't realize that they require water too. so imagine her 15 miles into a run, down one of the busiest streets in the city, hurling into peoples yards and onto business stoops
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Oh, I was thinking of adding energy gels to my stash in the car. Good to know!

Premium Member
    I have the same ones stashed in BOB, GHB, boat, and truck. Good info and great to know since we haven't tried ours yet after being in hot vehicle.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I can;t have nice things like this around............I get hungry to often.............they go right to my chin............
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Bacon saver

You'll find these bars or something similar to it in life boats on cruise ships, Coast Guard, Navy and other Civilian crafts. It's actually a requirement for their inventory. During my stint with the Navy we went from "C" rations to Hard candies, to these bars. Also we had canned water, now it's in plastic containers. I find the bars quite tasty. Great thread and good intell.

Be safe..............the night is your friend.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by msomnipotent View Post
    My tummy was ok without a drink, thank God. I didn't realize you were supposed to drink with this. What would I have done if I was stuck in traffic with an upset stomach? Bleh!
    Open door and puke. Just not around me, I'm a sympathy puker. It makes me sick even to clean up after my dogs. Thank God my kids didn't get sick hardly ever.
    I apologize for nothing...