Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So my wife says it makes sense to store bargain-bought foods in the storage cage

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Shop prices against your local grocery store.....never assume the warehouse store will always have the better price.

go by you local grocery store and look at all the things you are planning on "stocking up"....and write down the unit cost....price per weight/volume....and compare while you're at Costco.

right now....focus on getting the stuff you need to make "stuff" with...salt, sugar, spices, flour.....some staples....pastas, instant mashed taters, rice.....powdered eggs....crisco......powdered butter...etc.

but check prices before you buy hundreds of dollars of whatever....cause it can save you more....or buy more elsewhere anyway.

Congrats on having the spouse on board.....that is rarer than you think.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Where's the epi?

One other thing I would mention...oil does go bad. So you may be better off buying smaller containers (unless you use large amounts on a regular basis) since it is easier to use up than a gallon jug of something so expensive as olive oil. Even a regular oil that you would deep fry in goes bad over time once opened so if you aren't using it often maybe 1/2 gallon ones might be better. I believe lard lasts for a really long time so that could be saved in place of whatever oil you are planning to cook with.

I don't put O2 absorbers in any of my sucky things, it seems redundant to me but I know that some people do. I think it's a personal choice but ya can't go wrong with it.

Also, is your wife a member of the site? Would love to have her here with the rest of our Ladies!
    I apologize for nothing...

Thanks Echo2...though this means I'll be in the grocery store tonight smelling from my part-time dishwashing shift. =) Wow that line cleared out of my way! Yes, one must be aware that stores distract with loss-leader products and that the savings aren't equal on all products, and in some cases can be more expensive.

No, my wife isn't here yet. All in good time...I'm quite content that she's approved of BOB's (though I still haven't gotten to that project) and storing bulk foods. As Echo2 mentioned, having the spouse on board is a piece of luck. I'm not going to push the subject. As real-world examples of emergencies occur, relevant preparations/planning are explained on my behalf. Perhaps if one happens closer to home (though I hope not!) she'll have a more direct interest and join.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Protein - canned chicken, beef, tuna, salmon, whatever you might already eat fresh, but in a can, add beef stews or chicken soups as well. As a person who constantly fights dehydration due to my working conditions (up to 168* for short stretches) I've come home and binged on salty stuff, and high protein foods many times because my brain said to.. The reason I mention this, is that during SHTF, there isn't a lot of time, especially if you have to fully sustain yourself to go out and climb a tree and wait for a rabbit to walk by for your lifesaving protein supply, also, security issues could prevent food gathering altogether. Pastas, and canned veggies, sauces, etc. are still important, but it's way easier to open a can and have a semi balanced meal that tastes good than it is to try and figure out how to be a post apocalyptic chef in a pinch. We stock lots of dry goods, like spaghetti, noodles, flour, powdered milk, spices, flour, sugar, salt, yeast, spices of all types, etc. We stock, and use spaghetti sauce, pickles, cheese sauce, sun dried tomatoes, peppers, taco seasonings, soup mixes etc. in glass jars because we don't have a garden or the ability to can things currently, I've personally found that its about 50/50 whether a generic/store brand item has a longer expiration that the name brand that costs a few cents more, you'll want to check them out while you shop, or if you get a chance, do some recon while making your list to determine what the best route is on stocking up store bought items for maximum shelf life.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    The bags are expensive but very worthwhile and a must since you can’t use other brands as far as I know.
    I use the Seal A Meal bags but my unit is not Seal A Meal. I like their bags better than the ones for my unit.
    I apologize for nothing...