Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prepper FAIL!

In his experience the hammer head is better

prepper FAIL!

While I can't say much more than anyone else has said. You did what you could with what you had. You learned a lesson from it, take that lesson and improve on what you've been doing.

You one step ahead of most people by just stopping. You have no idea how many calls we get where people are passerbys who refuse to stop to assist. Many people refuse to do CPR when they call 911. It's redicilous, so like I said stopping puts you ahead of the curve.
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

Crotch Rocket

prepper FAIL!

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I wonder how many people....

...have a first aid kit in their homes, let alone one for the car?

...would have pulled over to attempt to help?

...would both pray and encourage their children to pray for those in need?

....would care enough about a stranger to be upset that you couldn't help out?

....would be introspective about their own shortcomings and instead dump the entire blame on their spouse?

....would be willing to share the "lessons learned" with strangers on an internet forum?

I'm not sure where I see the "fail" in all this.
    I wondered the same things beyond what I already said too, but kept writing a book trying to say it all. Good points, Stig.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I don't see much fail here either.
    Granted, the kit was missing, and you didn't know it. However, you found this out at a time when YOU or YOURS didn't actually need it. Also, it looks like the ones you were looking to help weren't going to have to rely on it either, so it turns out ok.

You had the kit.
    You kept the kit in the car.
    You stopped to help and make use of the kit.

You are so far ahead of most.

Not quite two years ago, I stopped at an accident where there was a body laying in the road. He had been crossing perhaps the largest thoroughfare in town in his wheelchair, and had been hit by a car, whereupon the driver simply kept going.
    In court, almost a year later, the video from the bank in front of which this happened showed that 30 cars drove right on by during the course of five minutes before I stopped.
    30 people drove right on by a man laying in a traffic lane of the road, and didn't think to stop, or even make a phone call.
    The man was dead when emts showed up about 5 minutes after I arrived. It is unknown whether he might have been saved had someone earlier stopped.

BTW, the driver got away with it.

We have a small kit in each car, a good light, and a small hatchet. I also have water in mine, rotated every six months.

prepguide

I can sympathize

earlier this year was coming back from Texas and came across a serious one car accident. Pulled over and grabbed by work gloves, got my kit from the storage box and rushed over. Saw that the patient was trapped so with some others was going to get started on extrication and realized that the pair of work gloves I had grabbed and put in the truck were both left gloves! Not so helpful...

Turns out the patient who was a pretty, nurse in her late twenties or so died on scene. It hit me pretty hard on the rest of the drive home. First time in a long while I had worked a fatality. You let yourself forget what that feels like and last two hours of the trip home were pretty somber. There was a few lessons in that incident for me.

Mental preps - dealing with the loss of someone. As soon as I got to the vehicle I did an assessment and took vitals. She was in a bad way already. It wasn't possible to remove her due to the extensive damage to the vehicle. I talked to her and let her know she wasn't alone. I hope she heard me.
    Physical preps - grab the correct equipment. Not having the full set of gloves left me at a disadvantage but not helpless.
    Medical preps - in working on her I got blood on my arms from her despite wearing vinyl gloves. It was after EMS arrived and went to clean up that I realized I had no means to clean myself off despite my kit being quite extensive. I chided by self for that and have since corrected that situation!

We do what we can