Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What camouflage is best for your location?

Claptrap's Problem Solver

What camouflage is best for your location?

While this is likely mostly appropriate for catastrophic meltdowns it can also apply to hunting, avoiding detection and kick-ass games of hide & go seek.

What camouflage type is best for your location?

I have three main types of camouflage BDU's in my rotation: 3-color desert (DCU's), 6-color desert (chocolate chips) and old-skool Woodland's from the 1980's.

Here they are in the general vegetation type common in my area. I hope to get out into a pine forest too see how they perform since there's so much pine in this area. But this is a good start for a discussion.

Woodland, 6-Color, 3-color. I didn't realize the woodlands on the left were obscured by a bush. That said, you can see that even been relatively new they blend in nicely. Coincidentally the 3-color desert's fell in a pocket of sunshine and seem to radiate. 6-color's not so bad.

3-color, woodland, 6-color. Here both the desert schemes seem to do a little better but the woodlands blend nicely. Picture taken at 15 yards.

Same group from 30ish yards. The woodlands disappear. 6-colors do ok but the 3-colors again stand out like a sore thumb.

3-color desert, 6-color desert, woodland.

Once again the woodland's on the left are flat gone at 20ish yards. The 1990's vintage chocolate chips do ok and the 3-color's radiate in the sunlight.

Depending on what happens later today I'll try the same thing again once the sun goes down. But early returns are indicating I need to snag some more woodland BDU's for my stash.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

We are mostly pine also, but do have some hardwoods. Ground around my house is iron ore, but other spots are sand and then good soil in some places. Here is a pic of my son hiding in his ghilie suit. (spelling)

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

I have found that in my AO depending on season....

Spring...standard mil woodland shirt/pants

Summer....woodland shirt....coyote brown or desert pants

Fall...I really dig the Realtree stuff....and dirty tan or gray pants/shirt

Winter....I have a set if faded charcoal gray....and a set of faded sheriff brown....swap either or....and wow...you would be amazed.

I do keep my ghilisuit up to snuff (hooded tunic with rear drape)....along with my leg bands, veil, and gloves....add some natural foliage.....presto.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

GunnerMax
    NWU Type 3s, Marpat and old school woodlands go best here, with ACU in the Urban areas.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Several areas I've been seem to work well with Multicam, but Woodland isn't too far off. Kinda depends on the season, and area.
    The Desert patterns are ok in some drier areas in the summer.
    While I have Multicam, the later Desert pattern, and ACUs, mostly I just use earth tone colors, such as a brown or tan pair of pants with shades of green shirts.

ETA: For hunting, my wife made me a set of Multicam insulated coveralls. Since coveralls are warmer than a separate shirt and pants, she took a set, sewed them together and added a lining.
    They are quite warm.
    Last edited by Gunfixr; 09-03-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Sorry to say but... For us it's a black hoody and baggy denims

Last edited by Evolver; 09-03-2012 at 10:20 PM.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

NVG....totally a work deduction!

I've pretty much only gone with Multicam, I've done little testing but it seems to work ok, the hard part about the north texas area is we are right between the deserts of west texas and the pine forests of east texas.

Its a hard area to deal with, but Multicam seems to be one of the best patterns I've come across. I can't really depend on multiple patterns, I travel a lot mostly across the southeast and this seems to be the best option I've come across

Do you have a robot?
    Where we are woodland seems to be best. Even OD green blends in very well especially in an urban environment. Evolver I look at black as a target indicator soooooooooo......they could just be targets of opportunity. I am going to test out some of the other desert camo designs. They my be good in the late fall around here due to the dry grasses.

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    Where we are woodland seems to be best. Even OD green blends in very well especially in an urban environment. Evolver I look at black as a target indicator soooooooooo......they could just be targets of opportunity. I am going to test out some of the other desert camo designs. They my be good in the late fall around here due to the dry grasses.
    It's not you that I'm worried about. We live close to "The Hood" so for us it's going to be more important to blend in as much as possible. (wink) I've even been working on the swagger.

Also... As some say keep your friends and family close but keep your enemy closer.
    Last edited by Evolver; 09-05-2012 at 02:13 AM.