Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mississippi River Flooding

I'll most likely shit myself

That would be terrible not knowing if you would even be allowed to go back home or could rebuild if you can go back.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

They can go back and rebuild , just have to raise the house above the 100 year flood mark. Expensive to say the least, and most would be paying out of pocket since they didn't have flood insurance. This does however show the futility of building in a flood plain. At some point in time , despite your best efforts, you are going to lose your home.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

The Morganza fllod gates are opening to hopefully spare New Orleans from flooding. This will drown approximately 3,000,000 acres of land.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Original story from the UK daily Mail

Islands in the stream: The extraordinary homemade dams holding back the Mississippi as desperate residents try to save their homes

By Daily Mail Reporter

We've all undertaken home improvements but these residents in flood-stricken Mississippi have had to embark on major construction projects just to protect their houses and livelihoods.

These homes in Vicksburg are all situated along the Yazoo River, a tributary of the overflowing Mississippi River, and their owners have surrounded themselves with tons of earth and sand.

With questions over whether the main levees that protect the area from floods would hold, these farmers took no chances and have so far saved their homes and crops from destruction.

Read more: Mississippi River flooding: Residents build homemade dams to saves houses | Mail Online

I would encourage you to check out the pictures at the original news story. They are quite amazing.

Here's just one of them

If you are in a flood prone area, maybe an idea?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

An agonizing wait in La. for creeping floodwaters

BUTTE LAROSE, La. – Louisiana residents in the path of diverted floodwaters from the bloated Mississippi River kept up an agonizing vigil as hundreds of homes outside levees are threatened by the slow-moving surge that has swamped houses as high as the rooftops in Mississippi.

Floodwaters intentionally redirected by the Army Corps of Engineers into Louisiana's Atchafalaya Basin still haven't reached a number of small towns along that route. Meanwhile, Vicksburg and other cities upriver in Mississippi reported early signs that water levels were just beginning to slowly ebb as the floodwater bulge heads south to the Gulf of Mexico.

The corps partially opened the Mississippi River's Morganza floodway on May 14 to spare densely populated Baton Rouge and New Orleans from catastrophic flooding, but the water it was diverting from the river into the Atchafalaya Basin still hasn't crested in Butte LaRose and other small communities in south Louisiana.

In St. Martin's Parish, La., a mandatory evacuation initially set for Saturday has been pushed back at least two days after officials said the river would crest there May 27 at a lower level than previously thought.

The delayed evacuation in the parish is both a source of optimism and frustration for residents who have heard the same grim forecast for days on end. Once the surge of water comes, residents may not be able to return for weeks. They'll have to wait until Monday while officials decide whether to reinstate the evacuation order.

"It's probably a blessing for some because maybe some people who didn't have time to do additional sandbagging will now have more time," said Maj. Ginny Higgins, a spokeswoman for the St. Martin's Parish sheriff's office.

Kip and Gwen Bacquet trundled their furniture and other belongings to the second floor of their home, 9 feet off the ground. They are bracing for up to 5 feet of water in their neighborhood. Gwen Bacquet, 54, said the canal in their backyard has been rising about 4 inches per day. Their pier already was underwater.

The couple moved here last summer for a change of pace from their native Lafayette, a city of about 120,000 some 60 miles west of Baton Rouge.

Before leaving town, they planned for their last act: shutting off the electricity.

"Would the last people to leave Butte LaRose please turn out the lights?" Kip Bacquet quipped.

Farther up the Atchafalaya River, St. Landry Parish imposed a mandatory evacuation several days ago for numerous areas outside the ring levees protecting Krotz Springs and Melville. Hundreds of homes in all the evacuated areas are believed to be at risk of flooding.

The wait has been difficult for Michelle McInnis, 37, who spent days packing up to leave with her boyfriend, Todd Broussard. She called the National Weather Service every morning and used its measurements to chart the slowly rising water's progress on a calendar.

"This right now is mentally tormenting, this slow rising," she said.

It was a different story in Vicksburg as Mississippi residents wanted to know Saturday when the water there would finally recede.

Chris Lynn fired up his small aluminum boat and traveled about a mile to check out his father's house. The home sits atop a 15-foot dirt mound on the Mississippi River's banks, much like an island in the murky water.

"It looks like the water has come down about 2 inches," Lynn said, grabbing his cell phone to call his 73-year-old father with the news. "That's good. The floor is starting to dry out."

Sections of Vicksburg that have been flooded for weeks remained swamped Saturday, with water up to the rooftops on some homes.

Yet even though the Mississippi River was slowly falling, it is still so high that water is backing up into its tributaries, especially the Yazoo River.

Marty Pope, a senior service hydrologist with the National Weather Service in Jackson, said Saturday that the Yazoo River is not expected to crest until Monday at Yazoo City and two days later at Belzoni.

Pope said that means floodwaters will recede in some areas but continue to rise in others.

"I'll be glad to see that water start surging the other way," Pope said.

Meanwhile, Mississippi Sens. Thad Cochran and Roger Wicker applauded the corps on Saturday after a flying tour of flooded areas along the Mississippi River. The two Republicans spoke with reporters on a Vicksburg bluff overlooking the swollen river and said the most important thing was that the levees and the entire flood control system had worked as designed — despite some lesser problems.

Wicker said the flooding has dumped sediment that will have to be dredged from ports and harbors along the river. He said there may be a need to seek a federal budget supplement from Congress to fund those projects. Cochran, the ranking Republican on the Senate Appropriations Committee, also said the flooding is one of the biggest disasters in recent memory — stretching in some areas as far as he could see.

"It's going to a long time before we fully recover," Cochran said, noting it could take weeks for some areas to dry out once the water recedes. But he promised, "We can overcome this disaster."

The river was at 56.7 feet at Vicksburg on Saturday, down from the crest of 57.1 feet. It's still above the 1927 record of 56.2 feet.

The surging water has wiped out crops and damaged low-lying farmland along both banks of the Mississippi and its tributaries.

In Louisiana, Marty Frey harvested 600 acres of wheat from the Morganza Spillway before the massive gates were opened to divert water. But his rice had just been planted and now those fields are deep under water as thousands of acres of fields were swamped.

Back in Butte LaRose, Tommy Girouard, 57, and his brother, Keith, 53, were hunkering down to ride out the flood on Tommy's 60-foot house boat. Girouard said he is staying to protect his $150,000 investment. They stock up on 400 gallons of gas and food to last two months.

"It's safe on here," he said. "It shouldn't be a problem. Just tightening and loosening ropes, we should be fine."

Sheriff's deputies and National Guard troops knocked on his door Thursday, warning him about the evacuation that has since been temporarily lifted and telling him to sign a form that says he understands the risks of staying.

"Didn't read it. Wasn't interested," Girouard said. "I can't just walk away from this."

___

Associated Press writer Holbrook Mohr in Vicksburg, Miss., contributed to this report.
    Original story at Yahoo news
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Original story from Reuters

Vicksburg officials urge caution, plan for cleanup
    Photo
    Sat, May 21 2011

By Meryl Dakin

VICKSBURG, Miss (Reuters) - With weeks to go before the flood waters of the crested Mississippi River fully recede, officials in Vicksburg, Mississippi, are advising caution and preparing for an aggressive cleanup.

"We are urging everyone to be patient," Mayor Paul Winfield told Reuters on Saturday. "They need to stay away from their homes and their properties until they're given clearance."

More than 2,000 residents and businesses evacuated Vicksburg and thousands of acres (hectares) of corn and cotton fields were flooded after weeks of heavy rain and runoff from an unusually snowy winter caused the river to rise to historic levels.

The river remains high above flood stage at Vicksburg and was expected to crest downstream at Natchez on Saturday at 61.7 feet, more than three feet (1 meter) above the record crest in 1937.

About three to six inches of rain over the next five days was forecast in the Ohio River Valley and the extra saturation could delay the Mississippi River's return to lower levels, said National Weather Service meteorologist Brittney Whitehead.

"It doesn't look like this rain is going to cause any more flooding," she said. "It may just slow down the decrease in the river levels that we've been seeing."

For residents in Vicksburg, the lingering water has put the routines of daily life on hold.

"This is a catastrophe happening at the pace of a snail," said school superintendent Elizabeth Duran Swinford.

Major roads are closed. Businesses are cut off by flood waters, leaving employees unable to get to work.

The city's animal shelter is at near capacity with dogs, cats, horses, chickens and goats until their owners find stable housing of their own.

Students and teachers at the city's smallest elementary school have for the last two weeks shared space with another elementary and intermediate school.

Swinford moved them as a precaution because their own school lies in a low area with a creek running behind it. She also took a step that initially drew criticism, opting to build a $65,000, six-foot-high levee around the school.

On Friday, she climbed the levee in black stilettos to point out the flooded playground, where only the tops of swing-sets and play forts were visible. The school building remained dry.

"It could have gone either way, but I'm going to err on the side of safety. I don't have time to wait on FEMA (the Federal Emergency Management Administration) when I have to open my schools back up" in early August, she said.

On the outskirts of the city, business has plummeted for Pig Willies bar owner John Harper since area roads closed.

The bar, frequented by many of the nearby farmers, usually boasts 40 to 50 customers on weeknights. One night last week, Harper served a single patron.

He estimated it would be three weeks before business picked up again.

"There's nothing we can do 'til then except sit here and lose money," he said.

(Writing by Colleen Jenkins; Editing by Jerry Norton)