Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handheld HAM unit

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Handheld HAM unit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BaoFeng-UV-5...item27ca9f0227

I just ordered one and an extra battery.

Essentially for under $60....I got an extra tool to put in the COMMs arsenal.

Short video on the ebay site....reviews say solid unit but a bit hard to program.

I'm not the COMMs expert....but it is definitely a plus point to be able to not only receive....but transmit.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

I'll most likely shit myself

Some of the new ChiCom HT's are pretty slick and are at a killer price. I have a buddy who has 2 of the Wuxson brand and really likes them. They have quite a few options you can get for them.

Check around and see if you can find a computer programming software for it. That makes life much easier to program. BTW that rig will operate outside the normal ham bands as well. Tread lightly in those areas. 2M band is basically 144mhz to 148mhz. I will have to look up the 70cM frequency.
    Last edited by bacpacker; 09-05-2012 at 12:54 AM.

They are putting other countries under (us included) by tossing cheap yet fairly high quality goods....I'd feel bad about it if I thought we would pull out of this mess.
    Last edited by Echo2; 09-05-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Premium Member
    I just ordered 2 each Alinco DJ-V57 HT units from Gigaparts.com for $129.00 each. The programming software was $49.00 extra. These units are dual band, 2m and 70cm. The 70cm is 420MHz-450MHz. One for truck and one for BOB.

Bacon saver

YEE-HAA! More toys for the boys! Now we're talkin, great find, like to hear more feed back when you get it. (all your radios above) I'll be lookin into more for myself. Make sure you throw a couple in your "Faraday box" Sweet find!

Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Bacon Spam

Just do your homework before you waste money on these cheap radios, a guy in our county CERT program bought a bunch and sold them off to some folks who all just got their licenses, the result big disappointment.....you will at least need a better antenna, some opted for a magnetic mount car type, some radios can't hit the local repeater when used next to a Yaesu FT270R or Icoms, sure the better radios are over $100 but worth it unless you are just looking for rhe next step above FRS and GMRS.
    Yes I have one and regret the purchase

Bacon Spam

2 weeks later and no more comments, let us know how they worked out for ya

we had another one loose its programming this past week, but was able to reprogram it with the computer cable , but 3 rd time I know of this happening with our CERT radios ??

I received it...feels solid....I contacted my brother (who for our group is in charge of comms)...said he would find the cable and software....so I haven't fooled with it yet.

I'll review it once I do play with it.

Do you have a robot?
    Echo thanks I will be waiting for the report. I am looking at getting a few also.

Premium Member
    I've been testing out my Alinco DJ-57T units that I bought last month and they are doing a nice job now that I adjusted the power setting. They came set up with the lowest power setting (transmit side) and I didn't realize it and was about to send them back. But once I figured that out, I was able to participate with the local ham club during the "rag chew' sessions on Thursday nights. So I feel like I got a good buy.