Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would YOU do?

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

As above to treat for shock...if the event has occurred....I'm at BOL.....praying that nothing has happened to trauma nurse and veterinarian.

Pull med record and see who is match for blood donation....get room prepped for surgery....instruments....lights.....sterile pads.....meds.

This will not be a easy thing to do.....amplified by the feelings for the person you're working on.

Looks to me that amputation of the last 2 digits is likely.....save as much skin as possible to aid natural bandage and possible feeling.....set 2 remaining finger stubs....immobilize.

Keeping it clean and allowing it to weep is going to be key.....If I'm at the BOL.....the antibiotics start right away....dressing checks and observation on very regular basis.

Be prepared for the total loss of the hand.

If we are in the field with no support......cleaver and cauterizing....bandage...pray.

shit....
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

To be completely honest, I would probably puke, and pass out. For whatever reason, I can deal with animal blood and gore a lot better than human. I've played operation on a horse that impaled itself on a post (you could fit a fist into the chest cavity, and the crazy thing lived!), and another one that went through 6 strands of high-T fencing, it was a nightmare, and ugly, but they both lived. But a person, and not just any person, but my SO?

Sorry, I am pretty sure I couldn't hack it.

CC Gray Panther
    Amputate

For the Love of Cats

how about some details there Eagle... Red hot katana? Or? Followup?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

Never having dealt with anything near that bad, I can only guess.
    1) PUKE
    2) Try and get my shit straight
    3) Treat for shock
    4) Elevate arm and get the bleeding stopped
    5) Give some painkillers
    6) After a period of time for the painkiller to kick in start cleaning the hand as well as possible.
    7) Pray to God I can find someone who can help do something, cause this is way out of my skill set.

CC Gray Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    how about some details there Eagle... Red hot katana? Or? Followup?
    Well sniper you said 911 was upside down. In this situation I would think hospitals are negative. Now looking at the pictures and seeing my S.O. with this injury would make me think ; Hand or possible death due to infection. Even if a hospital or even a doctor were available doesn't make me think they can save most if any due to the micro surgery involved.

I would err on the side of life versus death in this situation. If I had to I'd revert back to Civil War surgery for this if I had to. Not the route I'd want to go ; But a life saved is precious even if you're missing a body part. This wound no matter how you got it is a life or death one in a SHTF senario. Hope this explains my short response.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Holy amputation Batman!

Chop, chop...............
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Wow.

We went from best treatment we could muster, to amputate, to fit an attachment for a "stabby thing".

I'm not so sure I want you guys working on me.

I made some home made firecrackers when I was a teenager. Still have all my fingers.

But then, I always used electrical igniters from a nice safe distance.

Where's the epi?

After looking at the pic I honestly see no way the hand can be saved. The fingers are all but amputated already, the skin, muscle, bone, nerves and circulatory system have all been destroyed and to try and set it and sew it up would not only create infection no matter how much you cleaned and drained it, unless you are a neurosurgeon you will never be able to reattach the nerves, tendons, major veins or any number of other things that go into trying to fix this type of injury without pretty much guaranteeing gangrene and sepsis.
    Never give someone alcohol if you have other pain meds due to it causing excess bleeding (that's why tatoo's aren't done to people who have been drinking). Knock them out with drugs if possible and take the hand. Of course treat for shock first and I would suggest strapping them and the arm down before cutting. Make sure you feel for the space where the wrist comes together with the ulna and radius and don't just CHOP or there will be a whole new set of problems. Time and caution must be taken. If you have I.V. solutions start one first. If not, you can always make one by mixing sugar and water, tubing and finding some kind of needle (that would be the hard part - I would be adding some I.V. kits to your first aid kits).
    I may be forgetting some things but those are the high points I would bring up.
    I apologize for nothing...

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I say get that tractor wheel fixed and then we will deal with that scratch you have on your hand.

Of course, amputate comes to mind also.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.