Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would YOU do?

For the Love of Cats

What would YOU do?

S has hit the fan, the world is upside down, 911 is AWOL. Your significant other just came in, with their face screwed up in pain. They manage to stutter out "I messed up my hand"

If xrays were available, this is what it would show. to limit the puke-factor, the actual photo will not be shown. Add this mess to some minor all-over lacerations, and one quite deep cut between the second and third fingers.

Oh, and they are starting to show signs of shock

What would you do??
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Thinks it might be German

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    S has hit the fan, the world is upside down, 911 is AWOL. Your significant other just came in, with their face screwed up in pain. They manage to stutter out "I messed up my hand"

If xrays were available, this is what it would show. to limit the puke-factor, the actual photo will not be shown. Add this mess to some minor all-over lacerations, and one quite deep cut between the second and third fingers.

Oh, and they are starting to show signs of shock

What would you do??
    Get them horizontal first. Wrap them up in blankets. Get the arm elevated and compress to try to control the bleeding. Head to hospital if it exists, If not, and I'm the only medical care they're going to receive....
    I'm going to clean the wounds thoroughly. Infection would be my biggest concern.
    Knowing the hand will never fully recover from that kind of damage without professional care, I'd suture and reset what I could.
    Again... I feel that Infection will be the big problem in a post event injury like this.

Please tell. What happened to this hand? Never seen ANYTHING like that before!
    Last edited by slowz1k; 09-06-2012 at 02:31 PM.
    The 12 Gauge... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

For the Love of Cats

for this, we'll say that you are alone in dealing with it. I took some liberties in minimizing the amount of tissue damage, to start with.

This individual was the unfortunate example of why not to hold onto fireworks too long. Granted, post SHTF not many of us will be playing with fireworks, although we may be playing with gunpowders, explosives, fuels etc. A nice little reminder to pay attention and be careful.

Here's a couple links about the injury, the first being the same picture, with the explanation; and the second an actual photo of the injury (the squeemish may not want to click that one). For now, let's focus on the discussion presented, and future scenarios can escalate to something similar to the real story here.

http://gingerdead.com/2008/07/02/boom/

http://www.bestgore.com/bloody-injur...-firecracker/#

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Thinks it might be German

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    for this, we'll say that you are alone in dealing with it. I took some liberties in minimizing the amount of tissue damage, to start with.

This individual was the unfortunate example of why not to hold onto fireworks too long. Granted, post SHTF not many of us will be playing with fireworks, although we may be playing with gunpowders, explosives, fuels etc. A nice little reminder to pay attention and be careful.

Here's a couple links about the injury, the first being the same picture, with the explanation; and the second an actual photo of the injury (the squeemish may not want to click that one). For now, let's focus on the discussion presented, and future scenarios can escalate to something similar to the real story here.

http://gingerdead.com/2008/07/02/boom/

http://www.bestgore.com/bloody-injur...-firecracker/#
    After seeing the photos I'd like to change my answer to amputate and cauterize.
    The 12 Gauge... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

In his experience the hammer head is better

The only thing life threatening about the injury is infection. Bleeding is controlled or can easily be controlled. If there was absolutley no surgical care, vet ect avaliable I would:
    1.Lay person down and try to make them comfortable.
    2.Emotional shock is what they are going into chances are they wont bleed enough to die. If they are tournequit it.
    3.Pain killers if avaliable, not asprin due to blood thinning properties. Alchol would be considered. If none give them some wood to bite and get someone to hold them down.
    4.Clean this with filtered water, betadine, peroxide/water mix if avaliable. Clean well...
    5.If we going off the xray, I would sew up the bleeding vessels, clean the wound some more and set the wound.
    6. After setting the wound, stitch what skin can be stitched.
    7. Cast and immobilize if possible.
    8. Continue cleaning, antibiotics, and dressing changes.
    9.Pain control if possible.
    10. Long term use of the hand will be virually nonexistant. This wound is very bad and wont heal well without massive surgery.

Now after looking at the picture, I would rather amputate. I would rather go it without a hand then risk death from everywhere the infection can hide in that wound. Plus post shtf that gimp hand will just get in the way. Cut, cauterise, and let heal. Thats what I would want judging from the picture.
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

For the Love of Cats

I think most people would (amputate), but for our scenario, lets stick with the superficial flesh wounds. Lets say you were jury rigging an old belt to a tractorwheel to drive a water pump, and ran your hand through the pulley...twice!

I would do 1-10 for your scenario.
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

Crotch Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by apssbc View Post
    Now after looking at the picture, I would rather amputate. I would rather go it without a hand then risk death from everywhere the infection can hide in that wound. Plus post shtf that gimp hand will just get in the way. Cut, cauterise, and let heal. Thats what I would want judging from the picture.
    I have no aspirations in being your SO, or even your bitch... but... should I mangle my hand like that, would you be able to fuse a socket or threaded nut of some sort to to bones in my forearm? At least then the remaining appendage could be used as an adaptable stabby/ slammy thing.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Giving it some thought, I dont think that would be doable. The infection chances alone make it a risky plan. There would be a partly open wound into the hand where the stabbing object comes out of the skin.

There are no solid bones to attach to, too many bones in the hand. Trying to attach to the radius and ulna would require driling. Then attaching a plate between the bones. However the bones would not be able to move and rotate the way they are naturaly supposed to do.

In conclusion I dont see it working.

http://www.dontbeasalmon.net/images/...st%20bones.jpg

For the Love of Cats

I Think a lether 'cuff' over the stump, secured to the forearm and behind the elbow would make a better point to fasten stabby/slammy things to; but I would also imagine it would be a good long while before you would want to do anything other than cradle it gently on a pillow, and scratch at the phantom itches 3 inches beyond the stump.