Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire puncture kit for BOV

I'll most likely shit myself

I have slimed my lawn mower tires and the seemingly endless low tire issue has never happened again after two years. Never tried it a vehicle tire.

Need the worlds hottest pepper seeds? See him...
    Same here BC. Haven't tried on full size tires, just mower.

For the Love of Cats

Anyone have any experience using the slime in a cold climate? ie freezing?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I watched the craziest thing on Mythbusters last Sunday! We were at my inlaws house, and it was on the tv, they were doing some challenge about various ways to "fix" a flat tire, out in the boondocks. Well, they sure had some crazy ways, (making a 'ski' for the tire, cutting a stump and replacing the tire with it, etc) but one that actually seemed to kinda work was stuffing the tire with straw. When they first cut the small flap in the tire and started shoving the straw in there, I admit, I thought it was the dumbest thing I had ever heard. They shoved a ton of it in there, even used a big stick to mash it down in and shove even more in there. But when they drove it through their little "obstacle course", including a deep rut and over a small log, it actually held up!

It's nuts, for sure, but hey, in an emergency, if that was all you had, I bed it would work to shove wild grasses in there, just whatever grasses are growing in that area. It wont get you far, but it will work for a little ways, which may be all you need in a pinch.

For the Love of Cats

I once lost an entire hub assembly off a boat trailer out in the booneys. I cut down a 5" dia birch tree and used the bottom 12 feet to make a 'skid' Just the bottom 10" or so of the tree touched the gravel, and as it wore away, I had to re-rig it and move it down, but I made it home. 50+ miles of gravel, and 50+ miles of pavement. took about 5 feet off the second tree.

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Man, Sniper, I would've paid to see that goin' down the road!

For the Love of Cats

As long as you weren't driving behind you'd be fine. it kicked up a lot of rocks!

Re: Tire puncture kit for BOV

Another wise addition to a comprehensive tire repair kit is a length of steel wire. Using an exacto blade to poke holes for stitching & rubber cement and/or tire plugs, I've stitched up significant sidewall tears in the past. It also pays to have LOTS of plugs handy. I have used as many as 10 plugs at a shot to successfully seal some alarmingly large holes in tires. It wasn't pretty, but it got me home.

Having a small compressor is a must as well... or even better, an onboard air compressor (a rather popular addition within the off road community).

Portable CO2 tanks are another viable option.

I'll most likely shit myself

Do you know any good places to get on board air compressors from? I've been considering on for my truck. I pull trailers some and that would be a nice addition for the road.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Do you know any good places to get on board air compressors from? I've been considering on for my truck. I pull trailers some and that would be a nice addition for the road.
    What are you looking to spend....$75 or $350?
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.