Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck or SUV, full size or compact

Need the worlds hottest pepper seeds? See him...

Truck or SUV, full size or compact

Ok peeps, need some input.
    We are going to have to replace the car (Malibu Maxx) in the near future. We have a full size Tahoe (2WD) as our other vehicle.
    The Maxx averaged 26-27 mpg, while the Tahoe gets about 17. The wife typically drives the Tahoe due to her work being much closer to home. I drive the other due to a 76 mile round trip every day.
    We want at least one vehicle with 4WD so the new one would need to have that. Plus it would be nice to have a towing capacity of about 3500#, but the Tahoe can handle that.
    I like the idea of this one being a truck as we have the suv covered.
    The advantage of the suv is that all the cargo can be safefully stored within the vehicle and the seating is better.
    The advantage to the truck is you can just pile the crap in the back but seating is limited unless you get a crew cab but that reduces the bed area. There will typically only be us two so seating is not a huge priority.

We cannot afford new so we have looked at Jeep Cherokees (not the the Grand Cherokees) even though they are typically older but there have been some nice ones around and they can be substantially modified.
    For smaller trucks we've looked at the Ford Ranger models and Tacoma, mainly extended cabs. But the price of the Tacomas may be out of our range.
    The tough part is most everything averages less than 20mpg (and closer to 17) unless you can find a 4 cyl. but they typically don't have 4WD (not that I have been able to find).

Any suggestions on higher mileage vehicles I may be missing or should I be leaning towards a full size as the mileage isn't that much less?
    Last edited by Onestep; 09-12-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Thinks it might be German

I like the Cherokee idea a lot. They have been around for a long time, haven't changed much design wise, and aftermarket as well as OEM parts are plentiful. They are VERY capable in most off-road environments, and can be built to handle most any terrain.
    The only cons to the cherokee that I can think of is that the gas mileage isn't that great, and some people don't like the Uni-Body design, which eliminates the possiblity of a body lift.
    The V-6 needs to be avoided at ALL costs.
    Look for the I-6 4.0 HO. It is an awesome power plant! They tend to start leaking at the main seal after about 90,000 to 110,000 miles, but will still run forever as long as you keep the oil topped off (The seal replacement is a pretty easy 3 hour job for most shade tree mechanics)
    The 12 Gauge... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

For the Love of Cats

You can order a Tacoma in 4cyl, but no, they typically don't stock them. AND the 4cyl's are typically 2wd unless special ordered as well

I've had toys in both 4 and 6 cyls, all in 4wd, and there is not much appreciable difference in milage between one to the other. With a load, or in hills, the 4cyl was actually worse.

Toy's are not known for their mileage, with 17 being about normal.

That said, NOTHING touches the reliability of a Toy, or the resale value.

-Happy Toy owner since 1993. (4 trucks - over 2 million total miles)
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Thats part of my dilema Sniper, I like the Toy's but the MPG suck, especially for what's considered a "small" truck.
    Plus they REALLY like them on the resale market. New is out of the question for us.
    And Slow, I would only consider the 4.0 I-6. I had one a long time ago and it was a great motor.

For the Love of Cats

I've never bought a new truck, in fact, the newest one was 10 years old when I bought it. If you can find something about that old with around 100 K, you'll have a solid truck for a decent price

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I asssumed you didn't Sniper, I was referencing "ordering" one with the 4Cyl-4WD option, sorry.

I'll most likely shit myself

I second the Toyota's. I have had 4 smaller trucks, pre Tacoma models from 1984 to 1994. All had well over 200k on them when I sold them. They all got 20+mpg with the 22R 4cyl engine and 5 spd. More recently have had 2 Tundra's. The first was one with the 4.7l engine and would get 20mpg on the highway. My latest one, a 2008 with the 5.7l will get 18-20 if I rally baby it on the interstate. But around town 14-16 is the best. Other than one of the older one was 2wd. All but the first Tundra was long beds.

I spent very little in repairs over the years and in total are well over a million miles on them. I wouldn't hesitate to take off anywhere in any of them. I would love to find a 86 or older Toy PU pre fuel injection 4x4.. I had 2 of those in 2wd and both got better than 28MPG around town, over 30 on the hwy..

I assume you want a newer model truck. IMO I would take a 1st gen Tundra. Mine got better gas mileage and is a somewhat smaller truck size wise. Not very much less than a tacoma and more available power. That assumes you will not be towing more than 7500lbs. I would have kept mine if I didn't need more tow capacity. Personally I prefer a truck to a SUV. While each has it's advantages, but a truck will haul a great deal more. And like you said, you already have one SUV.

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Onestep View Post
    I asssumed you didn't Sniper, I was referencing "ordering" one with the 4Cyl-4WD option, sorry.
    Because they have been aroun as an option, means that they are around. start checking online, they can be found!

BP, I hear ya! my first Toy was an '84 R22 4x4. I sold it to a buddy's kid with over 500,000 miles on it, an he put another 200,000 before the body fell completely off of it. He pulled the motor/drivetrain out and tossed it into an ice racer and drove it for another two years, then tore that apart and built a baja buggy around it. Last I heard he had 920 000 miles, and was replacing the original head gasket.

In Canadian-speak, that's almost 1,500,000 km and still going!

I love Toys!

Truck or SUV, full size or compact

I would try to go with the 1985 and older Toyota pickup 4x4. I have a couple of them and they are great little trucks. The reason I say 1985 and older in 1986 Toyota switched to an independent front suspension. The solid front axle is stronger and more reliable and much easier to work on. The 22r engine with easily run for 300,000 miles if taken care of. There are a lot of modifications that can be done to these trucks with readily available aftermarket parts. A 3inch lift with 31 inch tires and a good winch on the front is a good place to start. If shtf while u r 70+ miles from home I would want a Toyota to depend on.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Different train of thought....

What about a Rav4 or Highlander? They get decent millage (with v6 Rav4 I still get 23-25 mpg on the highway after 130,000miles) and offer limited but decent internal storage for supplies and gear. The Rav4 has both a 4 and 6 cylinder and both 2wd and 4wd options. I have a 2007 Sport v6 4x4 and have loved it.

The limit will be, of course, a loss of towing capacity. You aren't towing 3000lbs with a Rav4. IIRC I think I can tow about 800 to 1000lbs max assuming the car itself is empty. Don't know about highlanders but I doubt they'd be much more.

Off road capability is suspect as well but you at least have *some* capabilities to leave the road. I've plowed my Rav4 across muddy farm fields, 2' of snow & ice in Indiana and Mississippi sandy dirt roads with little issue.

I'm kinda in the same boat as you. Mrs Stig drives a gas guzzling Nissan Armada. We really like it but when she makes the 20 mile run to the coast she's started taking mine to stretch the gas budget. I'd love to get a Taco but the price has just gotten ridiculous and used isn't any better. I've started eying the FJ Cruiser....hard. As in..."The Stig Wants One".
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout