Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use vertical gardening techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    I know I saw something on this in a magazine at one point, but most of what I'm finding now is on herbs and climbing plants. Very little on vegetable gardens set up like this. I'd like to grow a few things at work, just because, but my available space is only a couple feet wide. Anyone have experience or knowledge here? Learning which plants thrive using this method would be especially appreciated.
    You are in Michigan, very cold winters right? My concern with growing vertical is that if roots are not deep enough in ground for perennials they won't survive the winter. Also for things like grapes, if too vertical trails can break in the winter.

I get most of my fruiting pants from this place: The Green Barn Nursery - Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Rare and exotic fruit trees, winter resistant. Environmental Seminars and Consulting. the website has good info on planting requirements for cold climates!

Crotch Rocket

Thanks for the link! I am indeed in Michigan. I'm going to see what I can learn over this winter, and apply it after we thaw out next spring.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

For the Love of Cats

I set up couple of pallets this summer, but just for flowers to see how they'd do. I have my entire garden in raised beds, and am planing on adding a couple vertical pallets next spring for cucumbers and peas. I already have them set up, and lying down. come Spring I'll stand them up after they thaw, and try to get an early start with them.

Garden? I'll show you a garden....
    I grow many things vertically. I try to use as much dead space in my gardens as possible. We have pumpkins growing up a fence, cucumbers, squash. Pretty much if it has a vine, you can train it up a trellis, just be sure you take into consideration the weight of the mature fruit and make whatever you trellis accordingly so it can support the weight of full size fruit.

My favorite form for beans/peas is a tripod or tipi. I grow sunflowers this way too. Small children absolutely adore it they can get underneath and climb around, its aesthetically pleasing and you can get alot more bang for your buck in small spaces growing up, that way you can plant other low growing things at the base. Anything you grow at the base of the nitrogen plants (peas et all) will grow like gang busters. I love growing cabbage at the base of peas they get insanely huge.
    Last edited by ravensgrove; 10-14-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: addition

Crotch Rocket

Ok. I've finally gotten going on this. Once I have it set up I'll get some pics.

I"m using a decorative arbor and containers to grow a vertical "guerrilla" garden at work. The arbor is dome topped, and I've got two topsy-turvey tomato planters to hang from it - one for Roma's, one for another variety better for slicing. the sides will be the trellises for my beans and peas. I was going to use gutter troughs, like T mentioned in another thread, but couldn't find any before I needed to transplant, so I got a couple planter boxes of similar size and shape from the dollar store. Those boxes will sit to the outside of the arbor, up on the concrete blocks I still need to find to anchor it. The outer sides of each box also have a row of low growing plants, an idea I got from "Back To Basics" Lettuce in one, brussel sprouts and onions in another. I'll hook those to the inside of the arbor, about 3' up, to clear the bucket I'm going to grab for planting some corn. I love corn. There's no way I'm doing this without growing some So, it gets to sit in the arbor, under the tomatoes, and I'll move it to the side if it gets too big.

I cut out and cleaned a couple milk jugs for use as improvised containers as well. They hold squash, peppers, and broccoli.

I also have two smaller pots for the tomatoes, but I'll likely keep those at home.

Major experimentation for me this year, as its my first attempt at gardening. I've got things planted a few inches apart, which everything I"m reading says is ok for containers, and I used potting soil as recommended. If things don't seem to be growing well, I'll try thinning things out. I've got it against my work booth, conveniently next the water spigot on the eastern wall, which is also going to shelter it from the worst winds in my area. A huge stroke of luck for all of that to work out.

I've been excited to watch the seeds I started indoors sprout. Pretty cool.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out MIT. Sounds like the potential for a bunch of food.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    Ok. I've finally gotten going on this. Once I have it set up I'll get some pics.

I cut out and cleaned a couple milk jugs for use as improvised containers as well. They hold squash, peppers, and broccoli.

If things don't seem to be growing well, I'll try thinning things out. I've got it against my work booth, conveniently next the water spigot on the eastern wall, which is also going to shelter it from the worst winds in my area. A huge stroke of luck for all of that to work out.

I've been excited to watch the seeds I started indoors sprout. Pretty cool.
    Are you planning on keeping the squash in your milk container? Depending on the type, you might reconsider and get a bigger pot since many squash varieties can get very large and will need the space not only to grow properly but for balance as well.
    You said you put everything on an east wall...if things don't grow real great you might see if you can move them to a south facing wall which will give them more hours of sunlight per day. Just some thoughts. Good luck and keep us posted!
    I apologize for nothing...

The hot sexy one

For those on FaceBook, a hydroponic info site.

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

For the Love of Cats

Whilst looking for some indoor alternatives for winter, I came across this:

The Future of Food, Sprouting Under LED Lights - Lifestyle - GOOD
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

For the Love of Cats

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.