Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use vertical gardening techniques?

Crotch Rocket

Does anyone use vertical gardening techniques?

I know I saw something on this in a magazine at one point, but most of what I'm finding now is on herbs and climbing plants. Very little on vegetable gardens set up like this. I'd like to grow a few things at work, just because, but my available space is only a couple feet wide. Anyone have experience or knowledge here? Learning which plants thrive using this method would be especially appreciated.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

There is a website that shows how to use a pallet standing up for a garden. Their vid uses flowers, but I'm thinking veggies might work too. Let you know in a month or so.

Crotch Rocket

Cool! Got a link? I've got access to a large number of pallets.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

MI, I have done a little vertical gardening. Things like beans, peas, cucumbers, and tomatos do really well grown verticaly. You can use most anything to grow the stuff, up against a chain link fence, short peice's of woven wire fence, pallet, chicken wire. The plants really just need something to hold to and climb.
    We need pics of your work if you can.

Crotch Rocket

I'll definitely post pics. The area I have available to use as a guerrilla garden here at work is a steel wall and concrete base, so I'm going to need a freestanding unit. Thanks for the info on the plants. I need to get moving on this.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I would recomend using some wire as a cage or the pallet idea leaning against the wall. I'm very interested in what you come up with.

Crotch Rocket

I've got a couple different ideas now from this thread and some further reading I've done. One thing that I'll definitely be doing is placing an arbor/ trellis I have in storage in front of my south window. I can run a box across its width that is conveniently size for it just below the bottom edge of the window and above an AC wall unit. I'll have to get a pic up to show what I'm talking about, but its location is otherwise a relatively useless area here that I can open for use like that.

And it still leaves me that 7'l x 3'w x 5'h area I was initially looking at. Bonus! Now I just need to decide what to do there.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Herbs will grow very well in a window box as well. Basil, mint, rosemary, oregano all would do weell if it gets 4-8 hrs sun.

Where's the epi?

I know this is old but you can even do melons, just when they get a little weight on them use a piece of cloth and make a "cradle" to hold them with attached to your trellis/fence.

Crotch Rocket

What is old will be new again, lol. I didn't get to this project this year, but still have it in mind for next year. Thanks for the info!
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!