Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vehicle Recovery

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    Quote Originally Posted by slowz1k View Post
    Sand brings up an opportunity for a good "get unstuck tip".
    If you've done some wheeling in the sand you already know this... But for those that don't, this might be worth tucking away in some corner of your brain.

It's easy to get buried to the axles when wheeling in sand. The more you spin, the faster you sink. Being in a sandy environment, usually means that there aren't many anchor points such as trees, rocks, etc... to run a winch, or come-along cable to. This is where it realy pays off to have a shovel, tow strap, and a spare tire.
    Choose the direction most likely to offer a successful extraction. Choose a spot in that direction that would be the best spot for an anchor and start digging. The hole needs to accomodate the spare tire. The depth of the hole will depend on the weight of your vehicle and the angle of extraction. (I know from experience that 4' was probably overkill, but worked well with a 76 Jeep CJ-5 on east coast dunes)
    Bury the spare tire with the tow strap well secured to it. Run the tow strap to your cable, and you should be out in no time at all. The hardest part is digging the spare back out of the sand.

Disclaimer::: Wheeling alone is never a good idea. Having a second vehicle as an anchor point is always a better option.

yeah, i know this. LOL good tip for others, though. what works for me, is keeping the wheel speed up and using the torque and feathering the clutch. but, again it's been years since have been stuck. there are several good fishing holes down here on Eglin's Reservation and the only way in and out it through the sand beds. just my little 2wd Dakota no worries. dragging a boat can get a little trying at times.

Vehicle Recovery

I have a 9500# winch on my Toyota set up on a Reece hitch receiver system. I can winch from the front or the back with a snatch block I hit max wincing power at 19000#. Tree saver strap, 30ft 30000# jerk strap, and d-rings in the tool box.

I really don't like being stuck in the woods all night waiting on someone to come rescue me.

I use it of the winter to winch stupid people out of ditches after a snow or sleet.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    LOL. i used to pull the tourists out of the beach sand down here. it's white sugar sand. they pull off the highway to take a picture and bury it to the axle, funny as hell just to sit and watch........

Re: Vehicle Recovery

All this talk of getting stuck in sand, lowering tire pressure must be mentioned. I don't mean flatten em, but you'd be surprised the difference a few psi can make. Don't let out so much you can't still drive home, just take it easy & fill em up at the earliest convenience.

Oh and don't bury the axle. You'll only have to dig more.