Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prepping for someone else (without them knowing!)

Prepping for someone else (without them knowing!)

Has anyone considered prepping for someone else, without telling them about it? Other than your kids, of course. My kids ask me whats in all those 5 gallon buckets, I tell em "storage". My 14 yr old step son thinks I'm nuts (entirely possible), I tell him 5 gallon buckets are cheap storage, for "all kinds of stuff" and leave it at that. Anyway, I was just wondering, do you ever prep for:

-Someone you hope to bring into your family/group if and when shtf
    -Stuff to have on hand to barter with others, post shtf, high value things besides coins, ya know, like chapstick and dental floss

Or, my personal favorite,
    -Someone you are related to by marriage now, so if shtf, let's make life as comfortable as possible....prep booze?

I am lower on preps than I was a few years ago. Several months of unemployment/moving/personal shtf took it's toll. But I was super grateful to have the preps to use! Now we are back at the "build em up" stage of things again, and I am trying to think of what unnamed persons might need, because we are the ones they would come to, no doubt in my mind. But, they have useful skills, so prepping things in their areas of expertise (for example, prepping extra first aid/medical stuff because she was an ICU & ER nurse for 30+ yrs) couldn't hurt.

Thoughts?

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

We have prepped for 4 more than is in our group....just because there are single people in the group that may not always be.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

For the Love of Cats

I expect that my sheeple inlaws will be on my doorstep with nothing but empty hands and hunger pangs. Indeed, I expect that they would leave whatever supplies that they do have at their place so they have something to go back to 'after'!

I don't nec. prep anything 'special' for them, just more of everything. My biggest obstacle will be rationing what I have to maximize longevity. Whatever the situation is, they will expect it to be "all over soon enough" and want to eat and drink everything immediately.

*sigh*
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Thinks it might be German

I look at this issue by dividing my preps into two categories. LTS, and MTS. I keep adding to my LTS dry goods as $ allows. All of this stuff has a 30+ year shelf life in sealed #10 cans. My MTS (Mid Term Storage) goods consist of mostly grocery store bought canned meats, fruits and vegetables.
    My view is this:
    I have 2 adults and 1 Teen (that I will count as an adult for food consumption) living in my home. I have a MIL, BIL, and SIL living within 3 miles of my home that I "may" need to help out in a post event.
    Priority 1 (P1)is LTS food supply for 3 adults in my home
    Priority 2 (P2)is LTS food for 1 more adult (MIL)
    Priority 3 (P3)is LTS food for 2 more adults (BIL and SIL (Married))
    If at one point in my preps I've reached a 12 month supply of LTS foods for my P1 3 adults, I know that I've got a 6 month supply of LTS food for all 6 of my P1, P2, and P3 adults.
    When I've reached a 24 month supply for 3, I know I can feed 6 for 12 months... and so on.
    I never plan to stop growing my LTS, so I know I'll either be able to feed more or feed longer.

The MTS items get rotated and consumed daily so I have to stay on top of weekly/monthly restocks. I view these as primarily items for my 3 P1 adults and possibly, depending on circumstances, a source to supplement food for my P2 and P3 adults.

Not sure any of this makes sense, but I'm going to post it anyway. Wouldn't be the first time that I've spewed nonsense.
    The 12 Gauge... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

^^^ I'm tracking, Slowz1K, makes sense to me.

prepguide
    I also prep for those not here currently. I agree with how Sniper-T said it, I don't do anything special for them just try to have more of the same in as many categories as possible. A phrase I use often "A preparedness lifestyle guarantees us nothing, it is about increasing both the quality and quantity of our options". I strongly believe that our society is facing a very uncertain future that will impact our lives in many ways, some of them very negatively. Having more on hand as well as having a group around you only improves your options.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by prepguide View Post
    "A preparedness lifestyle guarantees us nothing, it is about increasing both the quality and quantity of our options"..
    Stands and claps loudly.......
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

We have been putting away extra LTS also for the whatever and whomever. It could be from my IL's, recruits, strays that might happen by to bartering for items needed.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Kinda sorta. I am planning on my family showing up at my door, but I only have enough money to properly prepare for my immediate family right now. I keep a few things I normally wouldn't, like baby formula. My sister has a toddler and another on the way. I'm keeping some of my daughter's old clothes and toys, but the rest is being sold to pay for our needs. I also keep more kid's foods than I would need for one child, just in case the neighbors come knocking at the door. I don't want kids to go hungry. The parents will just have to find their own. I am also looking to trade some of my things for a used generator for my parents. My father has asthma and sometimes needs a machine (nebulizer?) and my mother needs refrigerated medication. I already have a genny for myself and a lot of our family lives within walking distance of my parents. If I had more money, I would prep for them more.

Do you have a robot?
    My everyday pantry is always full, as is the freezer, this will sustain my family, of four, for at least one to two months. Then there are my preps that are LTS. I keep adding as much as possible. Should anyone show up in a SHTF situation they will get what they get. My immediate family is number one, relatives are two.........maybe three. Friends would be three........maybe two.