Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polar ice cap could be gone by the end of summer 2015?

Polar ice cap could be gone by the end of summer 2015?

A little sooner than 2050..! The clip alleges the ice caps could melt as soon as the end of summer 2015. Of course there is partial re-freezing during winters, but..!

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Techno...ID/2282025985/

Saw this on the CBC news Thursday night. It seems the melting is going far faster than anyone thought/predicted.

Worse, per the clip, once the ice is gone the energy reflecting action of the ice will be lost, and the water will absorb the sun's energy instead. This accellerated warming with then melt the permafrost in Siberia & northern Canada; allegedly the decaying bio-matter in the permafrost will then release enough methane to equate 4x the CO2 effect mankind has caused since the industrial revolution.

I don't know how much sea levels would rise, much less the effect on weather patterns.

Industry will get quite excited however, as it will mean large new territory to exploit.

From a prepping perspective, this first makes me concerned for food production as drastic weather changes are rarely positive. Second, I can't imagine what weather changes/storms this would bring.

Thoughts?

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I will place my bet right now this article is wrong. Any takers?

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

We need to locate Al Gore and put a stop to this. He's up there alright I got proof so we just need to find him.

My Proof.

[IMG][/IMG]
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Let him know if you need 550 cord, a hank of generic rope, and some duct tape

Beware the prophet seeking profit.

Glad to be on a forum that doesn't run with a ball without confirming it is, in fact, a watermelon. =)

It's hard for a layman to tell what scientist/evidence has correct data. From what angles do you feel the article is incorrect?

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Sorry for my making fun the subject Marthony but I've about had it with all the hub bub about Global Warming. Yes the melting of the polar ice caps could happen and should be considered for our preparedness.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

I'm not offended in the slightest Evolver. I don't pay attention to general word on the subject either, but it is unusual for the CBC to run such material. It does appear that the melt is progressing at whatever speed however.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

I'll reply in detail later, but specifically a melt off of polar ice of that magnitude would an require extreme energy input that mankind is incapable of making short of launching all nuclear weapons over the pole and even then it would only last for a short while. Climate change has occurred throughout geologic time and will continue to occur regardless of what man does. In short the assumptions of this videos are politically driven. It is a case of ignoring the data that doesn't support the theory, or worse yet, "cooking" the data to support the theory.

BTW, my professional geologist license, which I keep in Wyoming, is PG-2291. I was fortunate enough to take Glacial Geology at the University of Arizona from Dr. Lawrence McKinley Gould, second in command of the Admiral Byrd expedition to Antartica in the 1920s. He was about 85 years old at the time
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Didn't some greeny try to kayak to the pole to prove the melt was progressing, and have to turn back due to "unexpected, unseasonal icing" ? Winters are becoming more harsh if you watch shows like Deadliest catch, they had to go home due to the ice flows moving south last season, which was unexpected.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.