Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What have you Harvested this week?

Quote Originally Posted by Evolver View Post
    I agree on the greens!!! Beet and collard are my fav's. It's good to hear that you had a good harvest and I hope that the frost stays away from the others that are close.

The rootknot nematodes got my tomatoes again I solarized last July and August but I guess I didn't get a deep enough burn.
    Since planting Marigolds in mass around my tomatoes for the last 20 or so years, the nematodes are a thing of the past. Have you tried companion planting some?

I have been meaning to try some beets. I love them too.

Jimmy

I'll most likely shit myself

Jimmy I know you are a piece South of me, but when did you plant your sprouts, turnips, Brocholi, and cabbage? Did you plant seed or seedlings?

I'm already planning a fall garden for 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Jimmy I know you are a piece South of me, but when did you plant your sprouts, turnips, Brocholi, and cabbage? Did you plant seed or seedlings?

I'm already planning a fall garden for 2013.
    I set out seedlings. I put them out actually a bit late. IIRC they were in the ground on 10-1. But I put out 30 of each, except for the turnips (2#s of them) so that's not too many to cover if need be. I have found they will do very well down to uppers 20s.

Jimmy

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

We've dabbled in companion planting but haven't gone main stream with it as of yet and I'm sure it would help along with not planting the same thing in the same place each season. We only have 4 4'x12' raised beds and a few 36'' rounds that we're trying to get the most out of and we're still learning so thanks for the tips!!!.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

I'll most likely shit myself

From what I've found sprouts, cabbage, and brocoli are all better (sweeter) after a frost on them.

I'm guessing I need to get mine out by mid September or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolver View Post
    We've dabbled in companion planting but haven't gone main stream with it as of yet and I'm sure it would help along with not planting the same thing in the same place each season. We only have 4 4'x12' raised beds and a few 36'' rounds that we're trying to get the most out of and we're still learning so thanks for the tips!!!.
    FYI, I've planted tomatoes in the same 2 rows for close to 15 years. I make the soil new each year, I add copious amounts od compost and LOTS of fish scraps and cottonseed meal. I normally plant 48 plants, but some years there have been a few less and some years a few more. I stake them and pinch suckers for first 4 foot of growth, then top the plant. Then no more sucker pinching. The shorter plant will do a bunch better in the late summer heat. Not as long a run up the stem for water and nutrients. My plants usually go to the end of October and have gone to the middle of November. I'm blessed with a long 'mater growing season!

Good luck this year.

Jimmy