Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you Harvested this week?

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    got about 500 tomatoes from my Uncle-in-law's garden... does that count?
    Yup!
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Need the worlds hottest pepper seeds? See him...
    Realist, I buy the green peanuts from the grocery store, Publix in our area.
    These are the ones they sell for boiling purposes.
    You open the shell and plant only one of the nuts inside. Space about a foot apart.
    They take about 3 months to mature (I planted around July 4th). The main root base will have the most peanuts but they send out runners where nuts will grow off of. I did count the number of nuts on a couple of plants and the most I got off one plant was 48.

I need to find out if you always have to use the green peanuts to plant of if there is another "seed" method. The problem wil be if you can't get them from the grocery store, so I need to research how farmers do it.

A laugh a minute
    buy them from a local farmers market, that way they are fresh from the ground. Burpee sells the jumbo Virginia kind cheap, and yes raw green are the one's to plant. here is a link that might help with this.

http://www.gardeningblog.net/how-to-grow/peanuts/

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/pea...uestid=1519779
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Taz, I've had great success with the ones from Publix, 2 years running now and they are less than $5 and I have more than enough for me and then some. Interestingly, a lot of the harvested nuts have 4 per shell from these.
    My question about the "seed' ones was more towards the ability to have them stored for a longer term than yearly at stores or from Burbee. I keep a few years worth of seeds in cold storage and rotate as needed. I don't think the peanuts will keep long term like regular veggy seeds.

For the Love of Cats

apparently they like to grow in the North... hmmm! but I can't say I have ever seen green ones
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Sniper, what time would you need to plant to have 120 days of your hottest weather?
    If you have the growing time, remind me next year when your window opens and I'll send you some of the ones I get IF they have them in the stores at that time.

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

Harvested several tomatoes this week (only have 2 plants) and 5 bell peppers from 3 plants. We still have alot of small peppers and maters but not sure if they will ripen do to the cold weather about to set in.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

For the Love of Cats

120 days of my Hottest weather?

Bwahahahahaha

This year I had 119 days from frost to frost.

I would have to start them inside in the greenhouse at the beginning of May, latest

Quote Originally Posted by Onestep View Post
    Sniper, what time would you need to plant to have 120 days of your hottest weather?
    If you have the growing time, remind me next year when your window opens and I'll send you some of the ones I get IF they have them in the stores at that time.
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 09-26-2012 at 02:15 PM.

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I am so flippin' sick of tomatoes.....My inlaws are out of town for several weeks, Grandma had a stroke in FL, so we are keeping up their lawn and garden while they are out of town for a few more weeks. That means I have more tomatoes than me, my family, and my chickens can stand!

Tomatoes
    Eggplant
    Okra
    Green beans (earlier in the summer- mostly I froze them)
    Apples (we have two apple trees, and inlaws have one)
    Pears (earlier in the summer, we have 2 pear trees with the sweetest pears, its like eating sugar!)
    Peaches (also earlier in the year would have been better had the bugs not got most of 'em, next year we need to spray them)

We had a ton of blackberries this summer, about half an acre of wild bushes that grow thick in a few patches in the pasture and along the driveway. I didn't put in a garden this year, since I had a baby in May The fruit tree's and berries were enough to keep us busy, plus we go to a few local farms and pick strawberries, squash, pumpkins, etc. That is a lot of fun! We are actually considering putting in a field of pumpkins and selling them with the kids in the fall, letting the kids earn some money. Not this year, but maybe next year.

For the Love of Cats

If you are planning on canning the tomatoes, just freeze them. When you have time, or had enough of a break from them, grab a bag full, dump them into a sink of hot water. The skins explode off them, and after 2 minutes, the core pops right out. Can as per normal. By the time you get them into the waterbath/pressure canner, they'll be thawed and will can normally, or if you're really quick, add a little extra time