Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of birthday books

For the Love of Cats

A couple of birthday books

As my birthday is looming, and the wife is going to be away, she gave me my presents yesterday. Amongst the typical clothes (blah) I also got a couple books. This being one of them.

The Art of Catapult

Whether playing at defending their own castle or simply chucking pumpkins over a fence, wannabe marauders and tinkerers will become fast acquainted with Ludgar, the War Wolf, Ill Neighbor, Cabulus, and the Wild Donkey-ancient artillery devices known commonly as catapults. Re-creating these simple yet sophisticated machines introduces fundamentals of math and physics using levers, force, torsion, tension, and traction. Instructions and diagrams illustrate how to build seven authentic working model catapults, including an early Greek ballista, a Roman onager, and the apex of catapult technology, the English trebuchet.

Additional projects include learning how to lash and make rope and how to construct and use a hand sling and a staff sling. The colorful history of siege warfare is explored through the stories of Alexander the Great and his battle of Tyre; Saladin, Richard the Lionheart, and the Third Crusade; pirate-turned-soldier John Crabbe and his ship-mounted catapults; and Edward I of England and his battle against the Scots at Stirling Castle.

http://www.williamgurstelle.com/books3.php

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

This one is actually on order, as they didn't have any in stock

And I got this one:

Backyard Ballistics

From Amazon:

Ordinary folks can construct 13 awesome ballistic devices in their garage or basement workshops using inexpensive household or hardware store materials and this step-by-step guide. Clear instructions, diagrams, and photographs show how to build projects ranging from the simple—a match-powered rocket—to the more complex—a scale-model, table-top catapult—to the offbeat—a tennis ball cannon. With a strong emphasis on safety, the book also gives tips on troubleshooting, explains the physics behind the projects, and profiles scientists and extraordinary experimenters such as Alfred Nobel, Robert Goddard, and Isaac Newton. This book will be indispensable for the legions of backyard toy-rocket launchers and fireworks fanatics who wish every day was the fourth of July.

http://www.amazon.ca/Backyard-Ballis.../dp/1556523750

My wife is so cool!
    Last edited by Sniper-T; 09-28-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

Nice!

CC Gray Panther
    Man takes down moose with tennis ball cannon. News at 11.

Does your wife know what she has sown by giving you that book? If Grumpy ever visits you there be havoc wreaked through out Canada. You two will THE GODS of You Tube.

For the Love of Cats

About a year ago, I brought home about 8000 pounds of misc. steel from work. When she asked what it was for, I said it was to build a Trebuchet. she got quiet and left it at that.

A couple days later she approcached me again, and asked what I wanted a trebuchet for (I'm sure she googled it), and I said "so I can throw cars and stuff around".

She just sighed and shook her head a little, and asked me to try not to hit the dog.

I'm sure she thought I was a little nuts.

Last weekend, she took her firearms courses, and while talking to the instructor, somehow it came up and she mentioned that I was planning to build a trebuchet. Her instructor got all excited and said: "That be fantastic, I have 5 or 6 cars that he can throw. Does he need any help building it?"

Then came the sigh, and the little head shake again.

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

You got her in the palm of your hand T. Now shes done went and got you books on how to do the build. Very cool.

CC Gray Panther
    Make sure the lights work on the vehicles ; That way they'll be UFO sightings all over Canada.

For the Love of Cats

lol. I've got almost a full binder of plans for several different styles. Given the hodgepodge of materials I have available, it will be a hybrid of a couple different ones. I had an engineering coworker check out the forces generated, and know what I need to do to hold it all together. I do, however, have to finish her honey-do list of reno's before I can spend time making 'toys' as she calls it.

Back in university a couple friends and I made a couple 'potato guns' with 6" schd 80 pipe. It had a combustion chamber 14" long, with a remote control sparker. We would go out into the country, set up on opposing mile roads (across a field or pasture) and lob those little baby watermelons at each other.

Oddly enough, when I told her about this, I got a sigh and a head shake too. Must be a girl thing
    lol

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

You might want to talk to these guys Sniper!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Little girls build a trebuchet

It's so easy even little girls can make them!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

For the Love of Cats

lol. yep, it's just that easy! The only difference is the size and weight of what you want to throw.

I can assure you, that 2x4's will not do well to throw a car.

I'm building mine off an Ibeam base (wf10@100), using angle iron (1/2X6X4) crossbraces, square tube (1/2X8X8), supports, and two triads of three wooden electrical poles for the arms. I have been collecting materials for many years now, and have just about everything.

A friend had one, and used to chuck VW bugs 1000 yards out into the lake at his parents cabin. We went diving a number of years later with some lift bags and made an artificial reef with them. His was built with 2 arms instead of one, and was built as a permanent fixture. I want mine to be mobile!