Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicks

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Chicks

The eggs we put in our incubator are hatching today. I think we have about 20 hatched right now, there are not 20 in that pic, but I took that pic ealier today. As soon as all these hatch and I clean the incubator I am going to fill it with duck eggs.

Awww, cute! So, what kind are they?

Thanks, they are Black Australorps. This is the 4th generation that we have raised. We bought the first 40 almost 2 years ago, and they have feed us for the last year and a half. I think we have about 60 of them right now, we killed some this week.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Well, I'm sorta disappointed about the chicks, but I do like those baby chickens. Lol
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

I'll most likely shit myself

Sounds like the birds are doin well! Great work.

Thanks bacpacker, the birds are doing great. The female ducks are giving us a egg a day each, haven't gotten a turkey or goose egg yet. I have to many male ducks, so I have to kill at least 2 of them real soon. We are getting about 18 eggs a day from the chickens, most of them are still to young to lay.

I'll most likely shit myself

WOW that is a bunch of food while live. Very cool.

Ah ha, I thought they might be, we have 3 Black Australorps and 2 Rhode Island Reds...we had 3 reds but one died one day, oddly, in her nest, no mess or anything. Mom says a weasel got her, but my husband claims there are no weasels in TN. Anyway, I love them, they are beautiful, friendly birds, great layers, and seem pretty hardy. My kids are buggin' me to get more, but we sold the rooster (he attacked me one too many times, and I decided money was better than having to eat his nasty, tough self!), and I need to build a bigger pen for them.

Baby "cheep-cheeps" as my girls call them, fun stuff! That is a lot of eggs too, you eat a lot of omelets? lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4suchatimeasthis View Post
    Ah ha, I thought they might be, we have 3 Black Australorps and 2 Rhode Island Reds...we had 3 reds but one died one day, oddly, in her nest, no mess or anything. Mom says a weasel got her, but my husband claims there are no weasels in TN. Anyway, I love them, they are beautiful, friendly birds, great layers, and seem pretty hardy. My kids are buggin' me to get more, but we sold the rooster (he attacked me one too many times, and I decided money was better than having to eat his nasty, tough self!), and I need to build a bigger pen for them.

Baby "cheep-cheeps" as my girls call them, fun stuff! That is a lot of eggs too, you eat a lot of omelets? lol
    The old roosters taste just fine after 15 minutes in the pressure cooker at 10 psi. Fall off the bone, we killed the one a few days ago that attacked my wife. We also hatched two ducks today, and should have 2 more ducks hatch tomorrow. We feed a lot of eggs to our dogs, they each get 3 eggs with their meal.

Ducks, now that would be cool! We have a small pond, and I would love to have ducks and duck eggs, but I also have a Labrador x Mastiff, and I think he might bother them if they were free in the pond. I am dreaming up an enclosed chicken fence, with wire on the top (lots of hawks here), and maybe a kiddie pool for ducks. It would have to be next year, my husband is already overwhelmed with the shed we are building for the horses, and now just the other day we found a bad leak in our main bathroom, I fear that wont be a cheap or easy fix. Sigh....it never ends.