Thread: ripening picked tomatoes

For the Love of Cats

ripening picked tomatoes

I picked up a mountain of tomatoes from my UIL a couple weeks ago, unfortunately, he had just picked the vines clean due to the daily frost. Most were barely starting to ripen.

After a bit of research I filled about 1/2 a paper shopping bag with tomatoes, added in a semi-green banana, and closed it up tight. in 10 days EVERY tomato in the bags were perfectly ripened. A couple that I put on the window sill were... meh! and some that stayed in the plastic bags (with or without the banana, were about 1/2 ripened.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Awesome!

Now, can someone please find a way to slow the ripening process? My Mom jokes that this is the only time of year that people up in their neighborhood lock their car doors - so that nobody leaves squash and tomatoes in your car. Everyone is about squash and tomatoed right out!

For the Love of Cats

Between hunting and prepping the house/yard for fall, I don't have time for canning right now. I bag all my ripe tomatoes, and freeze them whole. When I have some time in the winter I'll do up a few batches. Plus, being frozen, they peel stupid easy.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

We have in past years picked our plants clean in advance of a frost. We wrapped each tomato in a sheet of newspaper and placed them in a box in the basement. All the fully green ones together, any partially ripened ones together. The green ones started turning in about a month. The others were all done by then.

Where's the epi?

I have also heard that if you pull up the whole plant and hang it upside down in a basement they will ripen slowly up until Christmas.
    I apologize for nothing...

The hot sexy one

My understanding is , heat determines speed of ripening.......Cool = slow, Hot=fast

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I have done the same as Sniper in the past. They last for a good while but once they thall they are throw in some chili soft.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.