Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Staying cool

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Staying cool

As we go into the warm season in most parts of the world, what are some techniques you use to stay cool?

Inside versus outside
    With power versus without
    Clothing techniques
    When sleeping

In other words, there's a number of aspects to staying cool.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Crotch Rocket

When the huge, Northeast blackout of August, 2003 I pitched a tent in an area of my yard that stayed shaded through most of the day, then I kicked back and used a battery operated radio to listen to reports and updates on the situation. I managed to get some ice and kept my refrigerated food good for the duration.

I otherwise just drink plenty of water when I'm outside. People cringe when they see me dressed in layers during the summer months. I tend to wear boots, cargo pants, and a loose l/s shirt over a t-shirt when I'm outside city limits. This year I'm trying something a bit different and will be sticking to shorts, sandals, and a t-shirt/ vest combo. The caveat is I'll keep more robust footwear and the vest nearby, but not on while I'm in the city. I also want a vest/ shorts that convert to a jacket and shorts. The idea is I'll be able to stay as cool and as comfortable as possible while also wearing clothing more appropriate to the terrain without having to change entire outfits as I go. I stuck out like a sore thumb dressed as I have been in town.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

I sweat a lot! I mean a lot.

I usually wear as little as possible when out, shorts, loose fitting lightweight shirts, & rebboks. The shirts I found are made by different co's, but are what I call fishing shirts, they are vented and thin but fairly tough. Also wear Teva sandals when I can.
    When working around the house, usually just a pair of cut off BDU's and old rebboks.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I sweat a lot! I mean a lot.

I usually wear as little as possible when out, shorts, loose fitting lightweight shirts, & rebboks. The shirts I found are made by different co's, but are what I call fishing shirts, they are vented and thin but fairly tough. Also wear Teva sandals when I can.
    When working around the house, usually just a pair of cut off BDU's and old rebboks.
    Bro, the thought of you wearing as little as possible is a very frightening mental image............
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

You shouldn;t go there. I think i may need to rewrite that one? Sorry for the mental image.

NVG....totally a work deduction!

It I don't have air conditioning I have fans for sleeping. Otherwise I am miserable. The only alternative is a lot of alcohol which presents its own problems.

I am prepared to use as much of my solar electric system and batteries to run the fans as necessary to sleep well.

I worked with a guy from india several years ago and he said it was very common to hang damp to wet sheets in all the open windows. It would catch a breeze and the evaporative cooling would dvrop the temps some what. I've never tried it but he swore it worked well. Something to try if the power went out.

if its summer and i find my self getting to warm i rebook the plane ride back to Alaska

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    When the huge, Northeast blackout of August, 2003 I pitched a tent
    TMI man......TMI.......

You guys wanna stay cool? Move to Canada, lol... It's plenty cool here...

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Quote Originally Posted by beginner View Post
    TMI man......TMI.......

You guys wanna stay cool? Move to Canada, lol... It's plenty cool here...
    The south parts of Canada can be warm during summer, don't they?