Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winterize windows...with bubble wrap!

Winterize windows...with bubble wrap!

Where's the epi?

Hmmm. that is interesting but would that keep out the drafts around the windows? They have a product out that is plastic you "tape" around the window trim and use a blow drier on it and it shrink wraps it super tight that is totally awesome. I used it on my mom's house before we replaced all her windows...they were old wooden single pane ones and very very cold and drafty.
    I apologize for nothing...

It's kinda hard to see, but there is quarter round in the sills. Here is actually the original link, I posted the wrong one.

If you click on the link, it shows them taking temperature readings with an IR thermometer and figuring out the payoff. I have never tried this, but it sounds like it works pretty well.

I have used the stuff you tape and blow dry, honestly I thought it was a pita. We used it on two houses in Pittsburgh, well, a house and an apartment. I wasn't crazy about it, but to each his own.

- - - Updated - - -

"The bubble wrap has a short payback in cold climates. About 2 months for single glazed windows, and half a heating season for double glazed widows. Details on payback:

For an 7000 deg-day climate (northern US), and single glazed windows, the bubble wrap increases the R value from about R1 to about R2. This cuts the heat loss from the window in half.
    Heat losses with and without bubble wrap for 1 sqft of window are:

Heat loss w/o wrap = (7000 deg-day)(1 ft^2) (24 hr/day) / (1 ft^2-F/BTU) = 168K BTU per season

Heat loss with wrap = (7000 deg-day)(1 ft^2) (24 hr/day) / (2 ft^2-F/BTU) = 88K BTU per season

If you are heating with natural gas at $1.50 per therm (100 CF) in an 80% efficient furnace, then the saving for 1 sqft of wrap for the season is:

Saving per sqft = ($1.50)(168K - 88K)/(100K*0.8) = $1.65 per season per sqft of window

The bubble wrap cost about $0.30 per sqft, so the payback period is about 2 months -- not too bad!

If you repeat the numbers above for double glazed windows, the saving is $0.60 per sqft per season, and the payback period is a about one half heating season.

If you use a more expensive fuel like propane, fuel oil, or electricity, the savings will be correspondingly more."
    Last edited by 4suchatimeasthis; 10-04-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Where's the epi?

How come you gave me a dislike?? Those are saved for really shitty people!

Uhm, I don't know what to say other than I DID NOT do that. Lady, if I had a problem with you, you would know because I would pm you privately. I DO NOT have any problem with you, or what you have posted, and I AM soooo sorry that dislike is there, I will try to get rid of it!!!!!

Where's the epi?

That was funny! I looked at it and went....hey, how come I got a dislike???? She must REALLY hate that other window stuff! Boy am I in deep doo doo! I wasn't mad at you at all or I would have pm'd.

Well, I just feel like a prize fool, because I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out, and I was shocked. I have appealed to higher powers to have it removed. So sorry, Lady, I feel like such an idiot.

Where's the epi?

We're cool! Pun intended

Lol, phew, good stuff! Cause I bet you could totally kick my a$$, I'd sure hate to be on your bad side!

Crotch Rocket

Just stay out of arms reach and you should be good. I don't think she developed the epi blow dart yet.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!