Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Prayer request and introduction

Premium Member

Prayer request and introduction

Hey everyone my name is Tommy and I am a 22 year old Disabled Firefighter/EMT from Gainesville Florida. I live on my 11 acre
    Farm I built from the ground up before i was hurt and I am also married and we have a 3 year old son.

I was shattered two lumbar discs firefighting last year and I am signing my VR paperwork this tuesday and then a week or two from now I will be having a double vertebrae fusion and bone graph to correct my L4-L5 and L5-S1 discs which are completely shattered.

I will definitely be posting when I am having the surgery and could use the prayers. Also if anyone is around the Gainesville Florida area I will be at North Florida Hospital if anyone wants to come over and visit! I will be posting the room # when I know it. There isn't much to do but if anyone wants to swing by anytime and talk about survival tactics or just kick back and watch some movies I will be bringing my Wii to pass time for the three or four days I will be in the hospital.

I will not be able to go back to firefighting since after the surgery I am being told no lifting over 40lbs so I am looking into going to liberty college for my bachelors degree in criminal forensics, which I will be doing after my 6 months of physical therapy and obtain some form of a job.

As for my survival situation it is both good and bad at the same time. I am reluctant to bring it up because after constant arguments from the zombie survival forum it just seems to bring up conflict. My neighbors own a wildlife sanctuary at their home and they do meet regulations but I do not feel safe from the lions, tigers, panthers, cheetah's, cougars, etc... She has many many different exotic dangerous cats in cages made out of 4x4 posts and hog fence.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem with me if they worked with the animals... But they don't seem to be doing so, and after going on tours I see how they are taunting the big cats. Even if they are being defensive and hissing and showing their teeth I saw the owner just get even closer to the cage and make kissy faces and to her it's just a game.

Now I'm no scientist but if a big cat is being defensive and you just keep getting closer to the cage as it gets louder and more aggressive is like thumping the glass of a fish tank. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

If everyone here is open and friendly I will post a thread on the situation but if not I will avoid doing so because it has created a lot of conflict on another forum because they think it is just a joke.

I hope to have some good ideas to contribute and I am always open to learning.

Thanks everyone,
    T Starr

GunnerMax
    Holy shit its Tommy! PM Inbound man!

- - - Updated - - -

Tommy, yes everyone is friendly here. But for the rest of u folks I went to school with him and his mom was my teacher. What are the chances, eh?!

Premium Member

Prayer request and introduction

Haha man it's a small world after all!

I've been hunting for a good survival forum and with you being on here I am sure this one is the best!

So do you want to help me plan to defend from some dangerous game? Lol I know it's wayy out of the ordinary but I'm just trying to get marginally prepared incase of an escape.

I've been looking at a glock 20 in 10mm so I can carry a little more whollop than the old 5906 9mm. Just something to make Simba think twice.

Watch one, Do one, Teach one
    Welcome to the site.Sage burnt prayers sent.
    Andy
    "When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side"

A laugh a minute
    Sage and sweetgrass burnt and prayers sent to you and your family. Tell the wife that we have a great ladies form on here and have her join too. Is she aboard with you about the prepping, hope so cause it is hard when someone in the family is not.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Bacon saver

Buddy, there is nothing wrong with your 9mm, I don't care what anyone says.........you'll hear differences all day long. There is a round (proven effective) called the "Extreme Shock" check it out, you won't be disappointed. It'll put that kitty down no problem, If you want to spent money on a bigger more powerful handgun, then stick with the common caliber .45 (but you don't have to)from there pick your pistol, I'm not going to tell you which one because everyone has their tastes/preference/experience. Mine is from combat, I was issued a MK-23 SOCOM when I was in the Navy (hand cannon) big smooth expensive accurate, suppressed, etc. No I wouldn't recommend it. I own a 1911A govt. a USP 45 tactical. The Sig Sauer C-3 is also high on my list but 2 is enough for me. I was also issued the Barretta M-9 also very accurate, many parts does not like water, rusts, too many parts, but I own a string of nines all of German quality (not Austrian). I'm brainwashed what can I say, I'm also a pedigree Kraut! Reliable and accurate less parts and battle coated so less corrosion. That's my input so now you don't have to ask. I make my own ammo, thar be the other answer. Shoot the damn cats if you see them out I don't care what the story is you have a 3 year old son! That's all there is to say PERIOD!

RIFLES? Large caliber .30 preferred, pick one, there are many. No bb guns like AR's you'll want to kill it, put it down, don't screw with this animal when it comes to your family! No offense but it's not like you'll be able to run out there and do something like jump in front of the cat before it gets to your wife or daughter, sorry man.

OK off my soap box, had to get that out of the way hell of an intro eh? HEY GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SLICE AND DICE, remember, mind over matter, If you don't think about it, It won't hurt, "Pain is just you body's way of letting you know you're still alive", I'm alive everyday brother........................Thank you for what you do! So others may live!

WELCOME ABOARD! You're going to learn allot here and meet many friends, My wife and I lived in FL long before you were born, got there in 66, left in 85 to join the Navy. My brother just retired about 2 years ago he was the Chief out at the Sand Lake fire house In Orlando, moved out to Reno. Real sorry to hear about your accident. Stay strong brother Hope to keep talkin to you, I'll be here, My best to the family, and once again, WELCOME ABOARD!

Sorry about the intro, just seemed important.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Welcome aboard and I pray that your surgery goes well. I've been dealing with herniated discs (L4-L5 and L5-S1) for ten years now. I also pray and I can't stress this enough... Be very careful when managing your pain levels with meds. Believe me!!! I had a full on oxy then morphine addiction within two years of my injury that almost did me in. My back didn't start to feel better until after I fought the battle of getting off ALL pain meds other than anti-inflammatories. I've been clean for seven years now and for the most part my back is holding up other than a flair up ever so ofter when I overload it your slack on stretching but within a matter of days if I baby it I'm back on duty. Words of encouragement... I'm 51 years old and I'm in the home remolding business and do 95% of the work myself so having a disc problem can be dealt with.

Sry to start out this way but I feel compelled share what I went threw in hopes to touch others so they won't go threw the sheer hell that I did. Nuf said so pull up a chair and settle in to our little colony.

Edited to say.... lol BR and I posted at the same time and it looks like we share some of the same concerns.
    Last edited by Evolver; 10-07-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Premium Member
    Good morning Tommy, and welcome to the site. We will say prayers for you on your upcoming surgery and pray for a quick recovery. Liberty University is a great school BTW.

I know how you must feel on the wild animals at your neighbors. Our daughter, her husband, and their little boys (1 and 5 years old-our grandsons) moved in a nice neighborhood in northwest Florida and who would've guessed it, the neighbor across the street had two cheetahs as pets and would walk them around the yard on leashes. Our daughter could not even feel safe to be in her own front yard with the kids. So she finally moved.

Bacon saver

The ants go marching one by one HOO-YAH! HOO-YAH! We all all have our stories, we all have experience, we all have our pains. But we all have support! PM anyone any, any time if you want to keep it off the forum. There's battle wounds and "aww shit's" out there. We all delt with it and we've all overcome.

The ants go marching two by two HOO-YAH! HOO-YAH!

Peace, Love and No Underwear!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

A laugh a minute
    We are a family that cares.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.