Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Game

Premium Member

Dangerous Game

After talking to quite a few members and all of them speaking highly of the attitude of this forum being honest and realistic I have decided to share my situation.

I live right next door to a poorly operated wildlife sanctuary. They currently have Lions, Tigers, Panthers, Cougars, Leopards, Jaguars, and many more dangerous big cats and all of them are in 4x4 and hog fence enclosures.

On quite a few of the tours I have made of their home I have seen how the owners mock the cats even when they are hissing, showing their teeth, defensive stance and the owners just continue to get closer and closer to the cage. Now I am no Animal Biologist but when I big cat is clearly showing signs of aggression and you look it in the eyes and walk closer like its nothing isn't that like thumping the glass to a fish tank?

So to break it down.
    1. Big cats
    2. Poorly treated
    3. Taunted aggression
    4. No fear or respect of humans
    5. Right next door
    6. Poorly built cages

I am looking for any ideas for deterrents, weapons both handguns for lightweight personal open carry and larger rifles, mace, taser, flamethrowers, literally anything under the sun that you would think can better my chances of survival considering I am the nearest one with livestock.

My current firearm situation
    Smith and Wesson 5906 9mm para
    Savage 111 .270 bolt action
    Remington 870 express magnum 12Ga
    Marlin 30-30 lever action
    Misc smaller guns .22, 20 gauge, etc...
    Basically I do not feel that I have the right weapon for the job.

Current ideas already being considered.
    Glock 20 10mm W/Incendiary Tracers
    AK 7.62 with foldable stock
    Saiga 12 with slide fire and 20rd drum
    454 Casull revolver
    Stag Arms 6.8 SPC
    Beowulf .50

Now I do not have any intention to move since I don't have the back anymore to build half of what I own today. I'm just looking for the best options to protect my family and myself.

Thanks again guys!

Where's the epi?

Number one: Call whatever authorities that govern having those kinds of animals. Obvioulsy they have a permit to have them and also to be a zoo of sorts in order to offer tours. This type of behavior can be considered dangerous to the "patrons" that are visiting, if their cages are substandard then they are a danger to the neighbors, if they are intentionally provoking the animals to make them "mean" this may be animal cruelty? You may be able to get them shut down and the animals moved to a safer and more loving place. That would be my first thing.
    Next I would make sure you have some tall fences. I would think that any of the weapons you already have would do the job if you came face to face with one of the animals on your property. I would concentrate my efforts on getting the place shut down and working with others in your area to join you.
    I apologize for nothing...

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    wow, under gunned? i see no reason why the .270 , .30-.30 or the 12ga wouldn't do the trick. again i don't know the situation, distance or how proficient you are with weapons listed (no offense meant ). as far as the .454 and .50 go, too big in my opinion, too long to recover from the recoil to make a quick second shot. me, i would rather shoot the animal several times, than count on 1 shot doing the job.

as far as a pistol round, look into a .45. auto.

A laugh a minute
    First off I would call animal control, and wildlife and since you said earlier that they are legal, How do you know that? Are you sure they have all their legal papers to have these animals? I would let the authorities know that you have concerns for your safety and your families safety because of they way the cages are built. Also let them know that you have seen them taunt the animals. The animals that I have seen in zoo's do not look pissed off or mean or show aggression when people get close to look at them. Do the animals look health? Are the cages clean and do they have water? Sounds like maybe the animals are hungry or just hate those people for a reason. If a animal is being mistreated by someone they learn to hate them. Maybe that is why they are hissing at the people. I would defiantly have someone go check on the animals. Maybe you can make them have to shut down and move the animals. You are right about worrying that the animals are dangerous if they get out. If they are being mistreated by humans then they are going to hate all people and since you are close your place will be the first place they go. Also if you do have to shoot one of them will you get into trouble by doing that? Since they are protected animals?
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Premium Member

Dangerous Game

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    Number one: Call whatever authorities that govern having those kinds of animals. Obvioulsy they have a permit to have them and also to be a zoo of sorts in order to offer tours. This type of behavior can be considered dangerous to the "patrons" that are visiting, if their cages are substandard then they are a danger to the neighbors, if they are intentionally provoking the animals to make them "mean" this may be animal cruelty? You may be able to get them shut down and the animals moved to a safer and more loving place. That would be my first thing.
    Next I would make sure you have some tall fences. I would think that any of the weapons you already have would do the job if you came face to face with one of the animals on your property. I would concentrate my efforts on getting the place shut down and working with others in your area to join you.
    I have talked to FWC and they say they are completely up to code and that because the animals are "Injured" which from what I have seen is arthritis and they are healthy and fine, that the cages meet regulation.

As for the animal cruelty the officer got very straight forward on me and basically that because we are talking about a multi millionaire here that it is going to be nearly impossible to prove.

I would like to have taller fences but 11 acres of land is alot of fencing and we are talking just a little under a mile of fence that I have already placed farm fence with the o'l slap down poles so its about 4.5ft high, not tall enough but they at least have to hop something!

Quote Originally Posted by robsdak View Post
    wow, under gunned? i see no reason why the .270 , .30-.30 or the 12ga wouldn't do the trick. again i don't know the situation, distance or how proficient you are with weapons listed (no offense meant ). as far as the .454 and .50 go, too big in my opinion, too long to recover from the recoil to make a quick second shot. me, i would rather shoot the animal several times, than count on 1 shot doing the job.

as far as a pistol round, look into a .45. auto.
    The distance is the biggest problem since I am looking between 50-75 yards depending on my location and I know that a big cat can scale that amount of ground very quickly. That's why I consider myself under gunned because none of my guns are semi auto except for my pistol and my .22's.

As for proficiency I was taught how to shoot first by my grandfather (WWII army medic with 2 bronze stars) then my father (Former Marine Honor Guard at Arlington) and most of my tactical training came from my brother (Marine with two tours one in Iraq and the other in Afghanistan).

I consider myself fairly proficient at least enough to keep up with my military buddies at the range. But I am always open to learn more!

Premium Member

Dangerous Game

Quote Originally Posted by Taz Baby View Post
    Also if you do have to shoot one of them will you get into trouble by doing that? Since they are protected animals?
    I covered the other parts just after you made the comment but this one really stood out to me. Even though they are protected animals under my state florida law says that you have the right to use lethal force to kill any animal to prevent it from doing damage to you or your property. So even if it is a protected animal if I feel endangered I have the right to use lethal force. Very similar to the castle law and stand your ground but for animals.

Also I found the link I was looking for on the private sanctuary's. I knew it was on my favorites somewhere!

http://bigcatrescue.org/abuse-issues...ions-dont-work

This is BCR a very legitimate cat rescue operation talking about private ownership regulations and why private ownership should be banned all together.

Where's the epi?

I fully understand about fencing...we are about ready to do 241 acres. I know your pain - ours must be higher though. The only other thing I can suggest is barbed wire across the top? That might not be so expensive and if the animals have health issues and arthritis they may have a harder time jumping it and if they see that barrier they may decide to go a different route all together.

Premium Member

Dangerous Game

I fully understand about fencing...we are about ready to do 241 acres. I know your pain - ours must be higher though. The only other thing I can suggest is barbed wire across the top? That might not be so expensive and if the animals have health issues and arthritis they may have a harder time jumping it and if they see that barrier they may decide to go a different route all together.
    I reckon I could go and do coiled razor wire across the top since its very simple to put into place and extremely effective, I already have a single barbed wire taunt almost to the top of the post but I think that coiled razor wire would do the trick! Then everyone would think I am like a miniature Fort Knox just from my fence and no way to see anything through the woods around my land.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddychrist View Post
    I reckon I could go and do coiled razor wire across the top since its very simple to put into place and extremely effective, I already have a single barbed wire taunt almost to the top of the post but I think that coiled razor wire would do the trick! Then everyone would think I am like a miniature Fort Knox just from my fence and no way to see anything through the woods around my land.
    That's the stuff I was thinking of but couldn't think of the name. Like the stuff they put around prisons.

Premium Member

Dangerous Game

That's the stuff I was thinking of but couldn't think of the name. Like the stuff they put around prisons.
    Exactly!!!

Even doing a double set which would raise my fence by another 3-4 feet is fairly cheap and extremely effective!