Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When I gotta go...

Let him know if you need 550 cord, a hank of generic rope, and some duct tape

Bringing this back...

How do you like those Kuhmos? I'm going to need a new set of tires for my truck soon. It's not a daily driver but it does see some pavement time to and from the wheelin spots and when I need to haul stuff.

Ever had them in the sand?

Re: When I gotta go...

Quote Originally Posted by MegaCPC View Post
    Bringing this back...

How do you like those Kuhmos? I'm going to need a new set of tires for my truck soon. It's not a daily driver but it does see some pavement time to and from the wheelin spots and when I need to haul stuff.

Ever had them in the sand?
    The Kuhmos have been great. I've put about 35,000 miles on them and they are wearing well and fairly minimally. On road noise is minimal as well. Performance in rocks, mud & sand is phenomenal, especially when aired down to 15psi. The sidewalks are tough as nails and have taken a beating on the rocks. They were expensive but I am sold & would buy them again.

Let him know if you need 550 cord, a hank of generic rope, and some duct tape

That's impressive for a mud terrain. What other tires have you ran to compare to?

I'm currently running BFG KM2s and they are a great all around trail tire. Mud performance is average but they really do well in the snow and in the sand. For sand I'm usually go 9-10psi rear and 12psi up front. Before that I had the ProComp Xtreme mudders which were average all around and didn't excel in any one area.

I'm looking for something that is a little more pavement friendly due to possible bug out duties. Considered BFG A/Ts but I really want a more agressive tread. Like I said it's not a daily. That's where the Kuhmos interest me, especially if you're getting 35k plus out of them!

Most of the wheeling I do is mild trails and exploring:

The 90's glory lightbar has since been removed.

Have a 60 to maybe throw at it eventually but at this point I'm really doubting the need for what I do with it.

Re: When I gotta go...

Yeah I'm amazed at how well they have worn however I am religious about rotating, maintaining proper air pressure and I did spring for the internal balance beads. The beads negate the need to rebalance as the tires wear. The passenger front is just starting to cup but I noticed a slight bow in my tie rod yesterday which I am assuming is the cause of the cupping. I plan on addressing that issue asap.

One drawback is they are directional so I'm stuck with a front to rear rotation with the spare set up for the drivers side (With my driving style I know I tend to beat up the driver front tire more than any other but I can still get home if I must briefly run the spare on the passenger side). As I rotate the spare in, currently the passenger side tires are noticeably more worn than the driver side tires. I need to get down to the tire shop and have them flip the spare on the rim so the wear will start to even out all around.

As for comparison, these are the only MT's I've ran on this rig but a few years ago I had a TJ & ran Thornbird Swampers (super mud traction but very soft compound, wears very fast) KM2's (great tire, good wear, good in all but heavy clay mud) & I had a Toyota pickup & ran Procomp MT's (inexpensive tire, good mud traction, did not do well in the rocks and had to constantly be balanced, wore very fast).

On that note, the Kuhmos have not chunked that bad at all. I've hammered rocks & fallen trees & they've taken all the abuse I could throw at em. They've got an E load rating & a stiff 10 ply sidewall. My JK's curb weight is a bit over 5k lbs so 15psi is just about right.
    Last edited by FL-Jeeper; 01-13-2013 at 09:34 PM.