Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you modernize the cowboy's bedroll?

Crotch Rocket

How would you modernize the cowboy's bedroll?

Warm shelter is obviously still very much at the forefront of my mind. Something I'd been looking for in addition to an enclosed shelter is a more compact blanket than the usgi poncho liner. Well, I was at Gander Mountain before work today, and I found exactly what I'm looking for. Sleeping bag liners.http://www.seatosummit.com/products/cat/1

The liners I saw packed down into a very compact 3"x5" package, and gave varying degrees of added warmth and weight depending on the type and style selected of each type.

The silk liner, 73" x 36" rectangular, adds 10*F
    The silk liner, 82" x 36" with a hood, also weighs in at 4.8 oz, and adds 10*F
    The Reactor Extreme Thermolite® Liner weighs in at 14 oz. adds 25* F. It may be larger than 3"x5" stuffed though, I didn't see it in person.

I think the rectangular silk liner would be a better choice for my EDC kit than the poncho liner because it packs down so much smaller and (iirc) is also a bit lighter. I was immediately struck by something I had just read in Backwoodsman magazine as well though: an article on bedrolls.

I liked the concept quite a bit, but again, cotton canvas and wool are heavy, so I don't want to carry a traditional roll. But a few of these liners... Now there's an option. Smaller and lighter than the USGI MSS, and I wouldn't be enclosed in a mummy sack, so I'd be able to react to trouble much quicker.

That still left me missing an appropriate outer layer. Then I found this:
    http://wardsci.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_IG0017039
    A nomex and kevlar fire protection blanket. If my estimations are correct, it weighs in at 8.7 ounces per square yard, compared to 11.5-32 ounces per square yard of cotton canvas. This blanket should weigh in at no more than 2.5 pounds. Total weight with 2 rectangular silk liners, one hooded silk liner, and a reactor liner would be < 5 pounds, even after adding a backpacking tarp for overhead cover and some sort of ground sheet.

I'd add those last two items as part of the package because, like the canvas, nomex will absorb some water. However, it is lightweight, abrasion and chemical resistant, and extremely fire retardant. What concerns me with it does involve the fire though. I read that nomex will carbonize at roughly 800*F, so any sparks or embers coming into contact with it would become brittle and eventually open up into pinholes. I realize this happens with canvas as well, but I'm not sure yet how I'd make repairs.

I'm also not sure how close I could lay to a fire and keep from degrading or damaging it, so I'll be doing some more research unless someone here has any idea.

I do like the idea of a bedroll though. For many of the reasons stated and also because I could more easily adjust the level of bedding to the temperature outside. The coldest recorded temp in my area is -20* F, so if I'm looking at this correctly I'd still be able to raise my sleeping temperature above 0 with the layers I've outlined. Please correct me if I'm missing something here.

Anyway, that's my take on it, I'm intrigued with the idea of setting up such a versatile and lightweight shelter system.

What do you think, and how would you do it?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

I like the silk bag liners they feel nice. For a GHB, I have a 6x8 tarp and an emergency blanket for sleeping. I don't plan on spending any more time than I need getting home and this is the lightest, least space, and quickest set up/exit rigs I could come up with. For the BOB, I lean more toward a Sleeping bag, mine weights just over 2 lb and is good to zero. Along with a tarp 1lb or less, tent 4lb or less, or a bivy bag just over 1 lb. It sort of needs some other factors figured in, such as season, expected time out and moving, etc.

I have not looked at the Thermo lite stuff at all.

Wow it's funny you should start this thread. I just finished acquiring the materials for my second bedroll. I wore the first one pretty much out over a 20+ year life. I have toted it all over the place. Mine is heavy, as it is canvas and wool, but the wear ability is incredible. I do like your idea. I have been thinking I may use something lighter for the mattress bag to save some weight. Keep us informed as you construct your new bedroll.

Jimmy

Crotch Rocket

This is a back burner idea, so its not likely to see completion any time soon.

I would be extremely interested in a review of your kit if you're willing though.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

A few things to note; cowboys wore layers, they wore heavy lined, long style coats, they wore chaps which added more layers...and when the bedded down they kept most of their layers on. It's not like striping down to your skivvies and crawling in a sleeping bag, lol. I'm sure most of you know this, but I thought i'd throw it out there for those who didnt know. Also, they used their saddle blankets, and slept with their saddles, as those were usually their most valued and valuable possession.

Crotch Rocket

and from what I'm reading they kept ALL of their possessions rolled in one, it served as their backpack or "trunk" for some, since they could get large enough to require a wagon to haul.

The layering ability of a bedroll is incredibly appealing though. It seems like it'd be easier to fine tune it for better comfort than a sleeping bag.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Claptrap's Problem Solver

This thread is now my favorite.

Excellent idea and discussion. Looking forward to hearing more from the ants on this.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Grand Poobah of the Smart Car Appreciation Society
    Since i did use something like back when i was traveling alot and set it up in a studio apt i would rent for the time i was there .

I started with a custom made full sized exlong futon mattress -x-10.inchs thick .then had a person who sew tent canvas togerther make me a outer cover with a slot for the mattress inside the unit with the top part rolls down and becomes the part of the end of th bed roll with ties .

The i could use full exlong sheets on the unit along with blankets and pillows and sleep on the floor .Everything i had could fit inside the vehicle and when i need to move it was easly as packing up the stuff into two bags and it was ready to be loaded into the vehicle.

The large items like the mircowave oven and office chair and folding table and milk crate that acts as a bed side stand was loaded with item and reading lamp was then loaded into the vehicle for travel

My old bedroll is sort of old school. But it has served me well. Nothing more than a used Hudson Point wool blanket and a good portion of 10oz canvas. I had brass snaps every 15 inches or so. That is because it worked out to have them evenly down the sides. I snapped the blanket to the canvas and can snap the canvas together at the foot and up the sides. I treated the canvas to ward the water/moisture off as best I could. I also had a 6’ 6” x 3’ 6” stuff bag. One end sewn along with both long sides. Snaps on the other end. This was used as a “carry bag”, a stuffed mattress bag and just a plain extra ground cloth.

Now I’m sure if I lived in a colder climate, I would have more insulating material. But I have slept very cozy in 25 degree weather. Mind you as one of the posters mentioned, I sleep with most of the daily clothes on. Kicked off the boots and socks and had “sleeping socks” to put on.

Having snaps makes it easy to take apart to shake out before rolling up and when time to clean.

Yes it’s heavy and somewhat a PITA to carry, but for me I will never use a sleeping bag again. The pure ruggedness of the canvas is just plain awesome. Only difference in my new one is the wool blanket. I found a new Polish military one in my favorite surplus store for $29!!! Even on ebay, Hudson Points get big $$$$ now a days. You can purchase the canvas at Harbor Freight. It’s pretty inexpensive. It’s in the paint supply area.

Just right for me…

Jimmy

For the Love of Cats

Being in a colder climate, I have a few other considerations to keep in mind.

Primarily, the ground is frozen solid for about 1/2 the year! About the only thing that I have found that makes sleeping on the ground comfortable is this setup:

A chunk of tarp which goes down first, to create a frost shield/moisture guard
    an inch and a half sheet of sponge.
    anther layer of tarp, to keep any moisture out of the sponge
    A thin wool blanket
    a cotton sheet (I find wool itchy)
    and my -40 mummy bag.
    If it is really cold/windy, I'll fold the other half of the tarp up and over the top.

I've used this set up in any weather from+10C to -40C. Often with nothing more than a tarp leanto.

I've heard people criticize mummy bags because they feel that they cannot get out quickly if they had to, and to this I have to disagree! Most times, My bag is unzipped to the waist (or only zipped up to the waist), and then just folded over. It is extremely easy to slip in/out, or just flip everything back and sit up with both arms clear.

One thing to note, is when you are cold weather camping (sleeping out), generally, it is a bad idea to keep your clothes on. Often your inner layers are wet/damp from doing whatever during the day, your outer layer may be as well (snow). so it is best to get these off before you crawl into bed. Most times I sleep in nothing but a comfy pair of shorts. I keep a pair of sweats and a sweatshirt handy to put on if I need to take care of business, but then take them off for sleeping.

If your clothes are just damp (sweat), you can put them laid out under the wool blanket, and by morning, they will be mostly dry. (dry enough to wear again comfortably). The wool blanket will absorb the water from them, and not affect your warmth level.

The next day (and this is important) you must break down your bed, to allow everything to dry properly. If you just leave it, it will be like climbing into an icecube tray the next night.
    The nice thing about wool, is that it is really easy to get the moisture out of in the winter. Simply hang it up outside in the cold. The moisture will freeze, and given the open weave nature of wool, a good spanking with a switch will break out the ice crystals, which will then fall to the ground and leave you with a dry blanket.

If you/your clothes are really wet, then you will need a good fire to dry things. When your stuff is dry and you are getting ready for bed, bring your sleeping bag outside and hold it up by the fire. Watch for sparks, and not too close! 5 or ten minutes is usually enough to take the chill out, and get the inside toasty. lay it out on your bed, closed, and take care of your fire, then strip down and climb into a nice warm bag.

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.