Thread: Bushcraft Forum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Crotch Rocket

Bushcraft Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Taz Baby View Post
    There are already threads on a lot of different things that have been mentioned but you have to find them.
    Agreed, but the emphasis is often different in the threads within those forums. I've seen discussions on end results, and very little on what people know of foraging to achieve those results. Take your two examples, for instance:

Edibles wild plants would be in the food section
    There is a whole skill set involved in finding them, another for determining if something is safe to eat if you aren't sure, and one more still for preparing them with little to no gear available.

fire starting is another one in equipment and basic supplies.
    Ditto here. Its the emphasis on skills over materials. I have to know what type of woods to select and how to assemble the components in order to make fire without my beloved zippo or any other man made materials.

I just type what I am looking for into the search and I find it that way. It helps so I don't have to go through each section.
    Smart way to do things.

I think what Stig is saying here (or at least the way I understand it) is that this thread should be about what we have made, done, and tried out already and then talk about how it worked for us. (Example: the rocket stove thread.) But I might be wrong on my thinking.
    appsbc was pretty much on target. Bushcrafting can be seen as breaking survival and emergency prep skills down to their most basic form. What will or can we do if we have nothing but the clothes on our back and the items in our pockets.

I believe its more a forum/ matter of "how" than it is "what"
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

A laugh a minute
    Thanks for breaking it down like that. If all you had was what was in your pockets, then that would be the question, what should you carry in your pockets in case that is all you have. Like how to make a bow drill and how to use it to make a fire? All you would have to have is a string and you could use the one in your boot or shoe for that. Am I on the right track?
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.