Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAK expiration dates

Walking on Sunshine

Can tell you aspirin loses it's potency and can make you very sick if too old. My pop took some aspirin one time I was at his house. About an hour or so after he took it I thought I was going to have to take him to the ER, he was so sick to stomach. From the expiration date on the bottle, it was 11 years old. No he didn't just keep an old bottle and reuse it. It honest to gosh was 11+ year old aspirin, he only used aspirin in a "blue moon" his words so he never replaced old stuff. Called his Dr. and was told to watch him but TG pop didn't have anything more than an upset stomach.He did catch heck from his doctor at the next visit about hanging on to old meds and not properly storing them.

Where's the epi?

How things are stored is the key to everything. Never store in the bathroom if you plan on using them for LTS. The moisture will degrade the meds very quickly.
    I apologize for nothing...

In his experience the hammer head is better

I knew I read this somewhere. Here is some info on one of the studies done on old medications. Its reported the Viet Kong used antibiotics 40 years after their expiration. Tetracycline is the only med I have heard that can degrade and become toxic. I'm sure there are others but they are not top of the list for what we would normally stock pile. Nitro is good for about a year regardless how stored then it looses its potency, and liquid meds are good about 1-2 years after expiration IIRC

http://www.pharmalot.com/2012/10/wha...t-a-long-time/
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    How things are stored is the key to everything. Never store in the bathroom if you plan on using them for LTS. The moisture will degrade the meds very quickly.
    I'll add to this... UV's (light) and temps are also a huge factor on the longevity of lasting times on basically anything that we/you store for long term so... the dryer, the darker and the cooler the better.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Where's the epi?

Here is an article that explains many questions and what was done regarding testing by the gov't. You can also look up the SLEP (program) and go through the hoops to read it - it's a gov't web page and kind of a pain in the butt to find and once you get into it pretty detailed reading...more than I wanted to bother with once I finally found it last year but it was out there. Anyway, here is a link to a good article with info:

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...l-date-584901/
    I apologize for nothing...