Knapping

The basics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chert
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz

http://www.turnstone.ca/rom76ch.htm

- - - Updated - - -

An easy substitute for actual stone, which is cheap for practicing, and will actually hold up under use (depending on the target) is glass! The bottom of any glass bottle is thick enough to knap into arrowheads. So next time you're enjoying a few pints... smash em up and start knapping
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day
    Uhh...with all due respect Glass takes a special skill to knap...well. Start with some stanrd stones first. We used to fire our stone to bring out the color of it, kmade for some neautiful stuff!

For the Love of Cats

firing it also changes it's properties as well. it seems to tighten up the grain, and you can get longer smaller flakes off (for retouching).

Glass is a little different, yes... but it is something that almost everyone has around, and come SHTF, there will be a plentiful supply. Having some skill knapping it could be beneficial. If you have an abundance of good stone around, by all means, but for those who don't, this is a good alternative

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day
    Agree. My point a bit better articulated is a person should not expect glass to nap like stone. So if all you knap is stone you will have a hard time gett glass to do what you want it do..... which never happens anyways. So if you forsee having to knap glass then start doing it now so your used to it.

And one thing i FIRMLY believe is that EVERY piece of material wants to be a particular shape, dont try and make it into what it dont wanna be. You gotta LEARN how to read your material and find out what it wants to be so you can easily help it become that shape.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Glass is really hard to work, it'd work in a pinch, but you might lose your mind trying. Flint and "chirt" (sp) and agates, as well as Jaspers are pretty readily available just about everywhere in the CONUS that I've traveled. I used to make arrowheads and knife blade (taught myself to make them at summer camp because the other kids didn't wanna play with me, lol). I used a round skinny stone, and a thick leather palm cover to protect myself against the sharp edges.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Watch one, Do one, Teach one
    Knapping skills are good to have.The weapon point of choice for Paleoindian(man).I learned over a couple of months,not to the point of reproduction Clovis points but enough if needed.this was my fifth try.
    "When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side"

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by IDTANDY View Post
    Knapping skills are good to have.The weapon point of choice for Paleoindian(man).I learned over a couple of months,not to the point of reproduction Clovis points but enough if needed.this was my fifth try.
    That's purdy mr. Caveman!
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Dropy View Post
    ...And one thing i FIRMLY believe is that EVERY piece of material wants to be a particular shape, dont try and make it into what it dont wanna be. You gotta LEARN how to read your material and find out what it wants to be so you can easily help it become that shape.
    Well put!!

I'll most likely shit myself

Thanks for the links guys. Lot of good info in those.