Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knapping

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

I have a watermelon sized cobble of obsidian I found in the Sierras. but I've held off doing anything with it because it is a glass (volcanic). I'll practice on regular glass first before I go on to the cobble. BTW, if you shoot a flintlock and make your own flints you are already on your way to knapping.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

For the Love of Cats

Obsidean will knap more like a regular rock than glass (IMO)

If I had a chunk like that I'd take it into a Jewellers and have them diamond cut it
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Couldn't I just use the 20" diamond blade wet saw here at the plant?
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

For the Love of Cats

I'm sure you could, but unless you have some crazy assed shaping skills, you're just going to end up with a bunch of smaller pcs.

In the hands of a skilled cutter, you could end up with a black replica of the hope diamond, or even a cartoon carricature of your own melon.

or something akin to a swarovski:
    http://www.google.ca/imgres?hl=en&sa...:57,s:20,i:305

http://www.luxurylaunches.com/other_...each_hotel.php
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Holy Moley! That's some wild art there, I'll tell you what! I think I'll save it for knapping and such.

Quo Vadis?

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Holy Moley! That's some wild art there, I'll tell you what! I think I'll save it for knapping and such.
    I used to make cabochons out of obsidian, it's really pretty, and very hard, but it's brittle like glass, that being said, it makes a nice arrowhead
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

A campground I found a while back which prides itself as being an 1800's era has several people's that have good skills and knowledge.

2 persons I gained much good info from are two mountain men, one is a black smith the other skilled in among other things knapping.

I showed an interest in knapping so he tossed me some glass, pulled copper rod and a piece of grinding stone... He said glass was an easy practice piece. And abrading was essential.

Key things to remember knap outdoors the abrading dust is a danger to the lungs. And when you don't know where to chip just abrade abrade abrade.

I'd put up the pic of my first piece but I'm still a noob... but IMHO it came out good.

I gotta try this again.. My past attempts were half assed and I doubt I even had the right stone...

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    I have to admit, Ive tried this before and just could never get the hang of it coming out the way I wanted it.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.