Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handheld GPS

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Handheld GPS

Any suggestions or advice for a reasonably priced, rugged hand-held GPS unit?

I'm toying with the idea of picking one up for land-nav, camping and general tinkering.

Any and all experiences are welcome.

I'm also wondering how useful a tiny little screen is....do you have to scroll in and out all the time?

I have always had good luck with Garmin products. I'm open to other brands too just leaning Garmin due to the past experience.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Re: Handheld GPS

I've had a Delorme PN20 for a few years & I like it a lot. I use it for hiking, kayaking, biking & off-roading. The current revision is the PN60 & it's a bit pricier but the PN20 & PN40 can be sourced online for a lot less $$$. The bundled topo software has GPS integration and numerous imagery layers are available for download. I've used it extensively for trip planning.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Garmin Colorado
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Bacon saver

We use the Magellan Triton, I loaded the NatGeo Topo maps for TN&KY. Takes a bit getting used to but so far I have been satisfied. I was frustrated at first, coming from a Navy man and having "bigger" and better equip. (in those days) The buttons are small (Magellan)and my fingers are fat. It uses 2 AA batteries. they go thru them fairly quicly but I don't know of any that don't. I have used this thing tracking over at least 50 properties of 100+ acres each on foot. LadyHK13 and deffinately put it through it's paces. The only thing I found is that it doesn't work in a cave.......DUH! I rate it 4 0ut of 5 stars and it's 4 yrs old. I also recommend the Nat Geo Topo programs. Hope this helps.

Conns: Needs bigger buttons and screen, I'll buy one that one again if I had to. I'm currently looking for one (fat finger big screen)If I can find one. But I give it a
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Has been known to provide fake cat info
    I use my Droid X running 'Back Country Naviagator' with free USGS topo maps.

I paid $7 for an overlay of all state and federal land in the state.

Works great.

For the Love of Cats

Been using a Rhino 130 pretty much since they came out. Love the built in radio, and the option to locate your buddy with the push of a button
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

+1 for Garmin. Customer service, should you need it.
    Just because we are peaceful does not mean we have forgotten how to be violent.

I'll most likely shit myself

The Garmin Colorado is a great GPS. A buddy of mine has had the T model for several years and has had zero problems with it. The Oregon models, while I have no actual knowledge of them, appear to be just as good and have good reviews.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Gotta gowith what Ive been using for years, RHINOS all the way!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Crotch Rocket

The Oregon models have caught my eye because you can snap a pic of a location and have a visual referenece of the point along with the coords. One of the models is also waterproof and looks pretty rugged.

I'm tempted to just save and wait for that one rather than buy something else.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!