Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collecting Wild Honey

Crotch Rocket

Collecting Wild Honey

I'm curious how people would go about doing this if they run across a hive in the woods?

My favorite episode of Duck Dynasty is on right now, and while its been funny to watch I am NOT going to plug a shop vac into a generator and use it for bee containment!

So, what say you?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Um............I gotta stay away from this one.

I dont want to give LadyHK a reason to hit me with Epi.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

I saw that last night, damn that was funny. I think Phil got it right though. Smoke works wonders to settle down angry bees. I've never had and wild honey, makes me wonder about the difference.

BTW that is probably my favorite show on right now. I don't watch a shit load of TV, but that is about the funniest show I've seen since the early Tool Time episodes.

Where's the epi?

Bees....should this thread be under the "animals" topic since it would overlap with bee keeping? Unless it's going to spin off into the program ya'll are talking about. Just asking.
    I apologize for nothing...

Crotch Rocket

Nah, this one isn't so much about bee keeping as it is foraging in the wild. I'm kinda curious what (if any) field expedient techniques methods could be used to safely collect it while on the move.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    I'm kinda curious what (if any) field expedient techniques methods could be used to safely collect it while on the move.
    grab it and run like hell?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

Only if there's more than one epi pen on hand, even for someone like me who isn't allergic!

Seriously though, I'm wondering if you'd just have to build a fire near/ under it to pacify them or what? I think I heard they react differently to different types of smoke as well... Its about the only thing making sense to me right now though.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

Has anyone ever ran across a wild hive before. I for onr have never saw one.

Where's the epi?

Me either. They are usually found unwanted at someone's home (and a guy is called in to relocate the hive) or in hives being raised.
    I apologize for nothing...

Crotch Rocket

You know, that's a good question.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!